Venlafaxine and mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I started taking venlafaxine last August 150mg got me out of a crisis state. I began to feel unwell again in January and desperately did not want to be in crisis again.

many trips to GP seeing diffrent one every time, they just increased tablet and asked me what I wanted them to do ( very unhelpful ). 

I got got referred back to mental health team and have been put on 15mg mirt as well as taking 300mg venlafaxine. Has anyone else had this combination??

i have been off work since February, it's driving me mad not being back to myself. The only improvement is I am not crying every day. I have no motivation, keep pushing myself to exercise, and get beck to normal but it's not working. I feel so pathetic I so want to be me again. Mirt has made me feel very lethargic I am just sat wasting days away. 

If if anyone has any suggestions or can relate to this would be lovely to here from you.

thank you for reading

alison

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well the combination of venlafaxine and mirtazapine has been very effective for me. I was on venlafaxine but still struggling. When I finally got to see the psychiatrist I was dreading having to come off it before starting on another antidepressant so I was relieved to be given mirtazapine as well. I've been about 6 years on 225 mg venlafaxine and 30 mg mirtazapine and I am now back to "normal" so I am trying to reduce the mirtazapine slowly.
  • Posted

Hi Alison

I havn't had that combo myself but can relate to the lethargy you feel which Mirt' is renowned for ... force yourself to get outside for a walk now the weather is lovely ~ it's suprising how good it makes you feel ~ maybe it will help you to feel up to doing a more strenusous type of exercise?  Baby steps - one day at a time.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hey Ali! 

I can feel your pain! It's been only a few weeks since I felt like sitting around waiting for bedtime.

I am on Wellbutrin during the day and it gives me the energy and motivation to go for walks, have a shower, see friends. On top of that I am taking Sertraline (Antidepressant), Clonazepam (Anxiety). I am also supposed to take Mirtazipine at night and I know it makes me feel like a normal person again, but it also makes me gain weight. So long story short - I am currently only taking Mirt every other day. 

What I want to say is: ask your mental health team for something that gives you energy like Wellbutrin. I think it's a great Antidepressant and it might work for you. You will have to try a few things until you find your "cocktail" that works for you specifically.

• Posted

I was on Venlafaxine 75mg for 11 years and never ever had any side effects.  From time to time, usually about a year or so, I  would come of them.  I would cut down on them and I have never had any trouble with withdrawing.  After a while the depression would raise its ugly head again and so I woud go back on them.

As I said I was on it for 11 years but two years ago they just stopped working.  My GP tried me on several different ADs but to no avail.  Then last November she prescrbed Mirtazapine 15 mg. They worked more or less immediately.  However, they to stopped after 3 months.  My doctor then upped the Mirt to 30 then 45 mg but no luck.  She then  said I should go back on Ven.and put me up to 225 which was horrendous.

I then asked if I could go to our local hospital and see a psychiatrist as they are supposed to know more about the drugs.  Anyway long story short the Psychiatrist prescribed 15 mg Mirt. and 150 mg Venlafaxine.  I said  but they both stopped working and she said sometimes they don't do so well singly but they make a good combination.  I walked out feeling it was a waste of time but to my joy they started working in three days. That was last July and apart from a small blip I have been completely back to normal.

I hope you have the success with it that I have had.  I will look out for your posting.

Love

Pat x

• Posted

Hi guys, I have just started on this combo, adding mirt to ven, took my second dose last night.

Feel terribly groggy once i finally manage to drag myself out of bed and kinda feel like i am in a dream for the rest of the day, hard to explain. Like feeling spaced out.

Im on 15mg. Does anyone know if this feeling of spaced outness lasts very long?

I have heard good things about this combo, i got stated on the mirt because the ven was helpng with my anxiety, completely stopped my really bad days but i found myself really unmotivated to do things and my mood felt lower, as in a wasnt my usual happy hyper self, so added the mirt to boost my mood.

Really hope this combo works as it is my last try.

Just need this spaced out feeling to go, really hard working feeling like this, im just thankful i have work collegues that understand that im trying new meds to help with my ridiculous anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.