Venlafaxine and mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello there I've been on ven for 18 yrs 150 mg i thought it was wearing of not doing much for my depression and anxity my visit to see my consultant has put me on 15 mg mirt for a week then increase weekly to 50 mg along with my ven has anyone had or done this and what have the results been thank you mike

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike, this combination is known as Californian Rocket Fuel! I have A and D and have tried lots of meds but I'm super sensitive so can only take low doses of anything.I was on almost 100mg of Ven but couldnt go any higher because of side effects (dizziness) so my Psych nurse added Mirtazapine 7.5mg to increase as I was able to 15mg,I felt good for the first few weeks but then anger crept in,I then increased the dose to 15mg but I lost hearing in my right ear!!! As a result of the anger and what was thought to be Mirtazapine induced hearing loss my PN stopped the Mirtazapine.I'm now back to just Ven and feel pretty flat,bit gutted because I thought this combination showed great promise.I really hope it works for you,take it with an open mind,it might be the perfect cocktail for you. Keep your head up, Emily x x

• Posted

Thank you Emily I was thinking that too I've been.ven for so long I had a 15 mg mirt last nite I've been half a sleep all day . I am so concerned about going on it , like you I get so angry and with ven I have had so many bad side effects . I may just keep going with the ven on its own I take 150 mg in the morning . I hope you are ok and soon be on the way.up .best wishes mike x

• Posted

Thanks Mike, I didn't mean to put you off, if you're feeling flat on Ven why not try adding a low dose of Mirtazapine and see how you go? As my PN said you can always stop it if its not suiting you.You'll never know unless you try it and just keep a track of your mood.I purposefully didn't read the side effects of Mirt before I started it,ignorance is bliss right?! I know I need to change something,I've reduced my Venlafaxine down to 75mg over the last few months because I felt foggy and was struggling at work,it's helped a bit but I think I probably need to work on the self-help side of things too.I have 3 young daughters,a crazy dog and I work as a nurse so not much 'me' time! All the best lovely,I'm on here if you're struggling.Emily x x

• Posted

Bless you Emily I think I will give the low dose a try . You take care hun. And..good luck . Bye for now take care Mike xx

• Posted

Try taking 75mg in morning and the same at night I found this is much better and the mirtazipine at night also

• Posted

Thank you Susan that sounds good it is well worth a try thank you regards Michael

• Posted

hi michael

how are you

hope you are feeling better today

dear i have really concern question and i really need your help answering me

i had ben on ven for 9 years last 5 years was 100% cured so i decided the worst decision ever to come off and i did it slow tapering and i successfully did it after 3 months of ben meds free i relapse with extremely powered of 9 years old depression and anxiety

so i got back to ven starting with 75mg for month and 150mg another month now i am on blips and roller coaster mood swing some day i feel i really got to normal and so happy after two days feel bad again and depressed more still cant believe if am gonna be cured again cause first time it took me over years to feel 100% cure

have you experienced any of getting off ven before threw your 18 years journey ?

hope to share your experience

and i am really really anxious about if am starting to get cure after long time again like urs say another 10-15 years its possible for the ven reduce efficacy and stop working and why thats happening i cant understand ben exploring many experience most people after long period of time on ven like 20 and more years they experience the same thing depression coming back

how bad is it when it came back after 18 years out of 10?

thank you

• Posted

Thank you for your reply . Well I tried to comè off Ben 18 months ago slowly . Got down to 37.5 for a few months then I stopped. . Bye the way I tried this slow reduction 5 yrs ago against my GP s advice . And wow . After a slow 8 month decrease . I stopped .. the side effects where unbelievable . I felt awfully for 2 months all my anxiety and depression came back it was horrible.. so I saw the syc nurse and went back on ven increasing to 225 mg over time . I got to a point where I thought they were not working but they must have .. now I have started on a supplement of mirt 15 mg at nite rising to 50 mg over the next month .. I'll have to see how it goes God bless Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.