Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine combo

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doc has prescribed now Venlafaxine 75 XR in addition to Mirt 45. Mirt by itself has not been helping with my depression a lot. It helps with sleep though. My psych said that Venlafaxine should help. Anyone on similar combo? Is it helping with depression?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I am on this combo it's called california rocket fuel when taken together. The mirt was the same for me it wasn't doing much for depression on its own but was helping with sleep so my phych doc added venlafaxine and that's when I started to notice a lift in my depression... it did take a few weeks though but it works great for me I never want to go back to that deep dark hole I was in. I'm still not a 100% as I struggle with my Anxiety at the moment but it's made it so I can work on my Anxiety. I hope you get on well with the combo. I take 45mg mirtazapine and 225 venlafaxine.

Leanne

• Posted

I went private to see a psych because I was sick of being treated by GPS.... they can only prescribe one drug and I was told to take either take Mirt or Ven... My psych said that Ven is generally more effective in treating depression (from his experienced) but Mirt helps with sleep and is good for anxiety so they work really well together.
    • Posted

I think it is the mirt. That is why i am reducing am hoping to be ok on just ven. I really cannot come round in the morning. Do you have any other side effects ?
  • Posted

Hi,

I've been on both, I'm now on Venlafaxing / Quitiapine which is helping a lot.

I'd recommend (check with health prof) zopiclone. I took 5 each night at the same time. I'm now in bed and asleep at the same time each night.

There are nights when I struggle, but these are far between. I take both Ven/Quit same time each day.

• Posted

I have been trying to avoid Z drugs this time... six years ago when I was poorly for the 1st time  I got so dependent on them that I even had to take them with Mirtazapine because I could not sleep. Mirt knocks me out this time but I hope I can come off it slowly once Ven kicks in. 
  • Posted

I've been on 225mg venlafaxine with 30mg mirtazapine for several years and find it's worked well for me with no appreciable side effects. I did try reducing the mirtazapine but had upsetting brain zaps after even the smallest drop so i've left it at 30. I do occasionally forget to take the 75mg morning dose of venlafaxine and not notice the difference.

• Posted

What happened when you tried to reduce the mirt ? How much did you drop ?
    • Posted

The psychiatrist gave me 15mg tablets (to make it easier to reduce) and suggested breaking one in half so taking 22.5mg and 30mg alternate nights but i wanted to do it more slowly so chipped about a quarter off twice a week. Even so i felt so agitated with zaps like electricity shooting through my head that i couldn't bear it and i went back to 30mg. It took me several weeks to settle down and i haven't tried again. I figure if it's still keeping me well then i'll keep on taking it.

• Posted

I have got from 45 to 26.25 without too many problems but that has taken 5 months. I have been told alternating doses makes it harder. Best to drop 10 to 15 % every 4 weeks. I use liquid. Do you get any side effects like morning hangover ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.