Venlafaxine brand changed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, so today I went to the chemist to get my repeat prescription of venlafaxine brand name TEVA but they said it's been discontinued so they replaced it with a brand named SOVEREIGN... now last time they tried to switch my brand I rapidly went down hill so I'm scared of the change in brands. My question is has anyone else had the same problem switching brands? I'm so nervous that I'm going to go downhill again.

Leanne

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

When i changed from extended release capsules to Venlalic XL tablets (prolongec-release) i noticed no difference. I also take mirtazapine and that comes from different brands sometimes but the pharmacist assures me it's all the same thing and i don't have any problems. So you could be OK. Try not to worry about it because that could make you ill whatever.

• Posted

Thanks for replying pixie, I'm only stressing because last time they changed the brands I was a mess after a few days.. some really scared.

Leanne x

• Posted

Yep. Changing brands caused me serious withdrawal type symptoms and other strange physical effects - ear ringing, nausea, low mood, crying. And it frustrated me that the doctors and pharmacists didn't believe me. I have to specify now with the doctor that it has to be TEVA and double check with the pharmacy.

• Posted

Yeah me too urielle... I was a mess last time they tried it but apparently teva has been discontinued so I have no choice but to change.

Leanne x

• Posted

Hi Leanne. My venlafaxine brand changed 2 weeks ago when I stepped down to a 75mg tablet. I had some withdrawal with the drop but it only lasted 2 days and haven't had any ill effects other than that. Don't hesitate to voice your concerns with your doc if you are worried. I hope it will be fine for you. I'm like yourself, always quite wary of any changes to meds. Good luck with it though and hopefully there will be no problems and things will be fine. All the best. Jackie xx

• Posted

I am really glad I have read this feed. The past few days I have not been feeling great and I suddenly realised having read this feed that my brand had changed. It has been changed before with no problems. I am now thinking that perhaps this recent change is why I am feeling out of sorts.
  • Posted

No is still the same stuff. Just different licence. Did some work for Teva a few years ago, asked them

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply everyone, my mind has been put at ease a little. I guess I will just see how I go. I'm only so worried because it effected me last time they tried to change them. Could be why your feeling off it Joanne as it can have an effect. Keep me posted about how long it takes for you to even out on new brand.

Leanne x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.