Venlafaxine - can I say no?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My psych has suggested I take Velafaxine. I have heard such bad things about it I don't want to start taking (this includes side effects and coming off). How would it go down if I say no giving my reasons? and has anyone else refused a particular medication suggested by their psych?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sure. You don't have to take anything a doctor prescribes unless you're under a Section of the Mental Health Act.

I've refused things.

But why is venlaflaxine worrying you? I've read lots of good things about it. Wouldn't it make sense to try it and then stop if it's awful?

• Posted

Where are the good things?  I've read it can be hell to taper off and if you miss a dose by a few hours you start getting withdrawal symtoms. What types of things have you refused Tess?
    • Posted

Procyclidine, seroxat, librium, mirtazapine and melleril.

Do bear in mind that everyone is different and everyone has different efects from meds.

• Posted

of course, you can refuse anything you like.  A psych will always prescribe medication, its their main purpose.  You can look for therapy and psychotherapists who wont push medication, talking therapy is often overlooked but it can be equally or more effective than meds.  Its your choice.  Psych isnt a place to be if you dont want meds, they will probably discharge you if you dont want meds - which makes sense, thats all they know
  • Posted

I am on Venlafaxine at the highest amount and never had any side effects , i am also on Mirtazapine with no side effects , different AD's can affect the individual in different ways - some will suit some people but not others , i have never refused a type of Ad's because until i have tried it then i will not know if it will suit me or not , i also have never had any major problem coming off one type then onto another , i also take other medication for other health issues and so far all have reacted well together .
  • Posted

I was on venlafaxine for 12 years. I found going on it much more unpleasent than coming off it. The drug did wonders for me and several people i met through the experience and besides the start-up symptoms i would say it is awesome for anxiety disorders. Coming off was slow but rather smooth for me. Not sure about how you go about refusing a medicine in UK. Where i am it is all private so you have your say...which is not always good LOL. All the best!
    • Posted

Anyone is the UK can refuse a drug, unless they've been taken to a mental hospital and Sectioned. (This is part of our Mental Health Act)

Sometimes, patients enter the hospital voluntarily but after a while, if they're getting worse, and refusing treatment, the docs can put them under one of the many Sections of the Mental Health Act. Then the patient has no choice about complying with treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.