Venlafaxine cold forehead

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. I've been on 75 mg of Venlafaxine since September 2015. They've made things better than they was but for the past 4ish weeks, I've started to get weird sensations in my head. It feels as though my forehead is cold/damp. It's just my forehead. It feels though it's fizzing. No pain, just worried. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I was told it is the stress/tension seeping through and long term muscle tension causing a migraine (not all of them come with an actual headache). If you are able to get a good deep tissue massage in neck, shoulders, along the spine and beneath the edges of shoulder blades and see if symptoms improve after 2-3 days. At least that worked form me. unless your forehead is actually notably cold to the touch as opposed to just feeling cold/wet sensations, in which case call doctor for advice. I mean, share this with your doctor either way obbviously but if it is as it was for me...just tension mounting. All the best.
    • Posted

Hi. Thank you for reply. I think I've spoken to your good self before.

It's a weird one this as I've never experienced this before. Could it be that the drugs aren't actually working anymore? I am on the wrong dose. I'm only on 75mg and do need to purge dose. I tried adding another 37.5mg but I'm too sensitive to meds. I can't hack what my brain does. It makes me uber paranoid in thinking that I'm going to experience ALL of the listed side effects. I'm going to ask the doctor if I can cut a pill up and add it gradually at my pace. It's the only way I'm going to be able to do it.

With the cold/damp forehead, I don't get headaches. It's just a constant pinging and fizzing. It feels as though I've a damp flannel on my forehead. It's horrid as its making me think there's something else wrong!

• Posted

It does sound like a migraine - my migraines are almost always as you describe them and only painful once in a blue moon. I get what you describe after periods of added stress. Could be that you need a bit more of the medicine to relax more but could be latent tension. Really a massage may help. If your other symptoms are not worsening and are steadily improving you may be able to pull through on 75. Just. But if you are stagnating then moving a little higher on dosage will do wonders for you. If done gently as you say. I hope your doctor is supportive. Let us know how you fare.

PS. it does not sound like something ominous since i am guessing your mind is jumping to worst possible scenarios smile

• Posted

Hi. I always thought that a migraine was a really bad headache? I thought if you had one, you had pain?? Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I was led to believe.

I take comfort in it possibly being due to stress or tension. I can be quite chilled then this will start and throw me off.

I'm a sight better than I was this time last year but I'm nowhere near 100%.

Medications scare the hell out of me. I know I need to increase but my paranoia stops me. If I could get confirmation that cutting tablets would be safe then that's an option for me otherwise I've no chance. I weened myself off them the last time with cut tablets. It took a year but it was ok.

• Posted

:D I went as far as having an MRI to confirm there is something wrong with me. There wasn't. The medical staff explained to me severeal times over that migraines are not always associated with headaches. Some give these strange sensations but no pain.  However I would mention them to your doctor just in case he/she may be interested to look into it and it does not mean that what i have is the same as what you have. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi there. Thanks again for your reply. I had a look for this on the Internet and nothing mentions my symptoms in a migraine. The aura stage would only consist of double vision, blind spots and flashing lights. The only tingling sensations are usually only found on the body itself. This was on the NHS website. Maybe I have something else of which I'll talk to my doctor about. I'm getting these sensations on a daily basis now although I have no doubt it is stress related.
    • Posted

How odd. I was told these are classical migraine symptoms. I know a few other people who get this, some more severe than others and all were told it is a form of migraine. Maybe this is what they say to us when they don't know what to say to us. In any case...we are all still alive and stroke-free...erm for now. Back to worrying then! Thanks for that LOL
    • Posted

Mmmm it is odd. I'm at the docs on Monday so shall certainly ask. It's very difficult to word it in a Google search so it understands it. I can only describe it as imagine you have a damp flannel on your forehead then remove it. The chill of your skin with air running over it gives a similar sensation as to what I'm experiencing. It's very bizarre. I can only think my worries are poking through and beyond what the meds are doing or they've stopped working. I've either got to up my dose which I'm too sensitive to do or change but then I'm back to square 1! SSRI's don't appear to agree with me and there aren't that many SNRI's out there. Maybe an anti sychcotic is needed??
    • Posted

LOL that depends on whether you have symptoms of having progressed to psychosis, doesn't it! smile I'll have you know that i reached the point of psychosis and Venlafaxine pulled me right out...at 150mg, after about 1 month. I used to see cats that i knew weren't there. Then Ven kicked in and all imaginary cats were gone. Then i missed them and i got myself a real cat to look after smile I thought maybe it was a sign! My daughter was chuffed as she wanted a cat smile Let me know what the doc says about the tingles and cold forehead. Very curious. Also, hope the doc will be sympathetic to slow dosage increase for you. If needed. Let us know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.