Venlafaxine-Effexor-Tendinitis-Beginning 3 week Withdrawal from Effexor

Posted , 6 users are following.

20-03-2018

I HOPE THESE POSTS HELP EVERYONE THAT READS THEM as much as one of the contributors posts helped me. A post a couple of years ago on this site from Terri truly validated my side effects from Effexor and I learned from her that I definitely didn't want to go off the Effexor "cold turkey". Hopefully my 21 day withdrawal blog/daily diary will help someone else out, the way hers helped me.

Stats: I am a 47 year old female, in shape, 5'5", 145 pounds beginning the three week withdrawal from Effexor (150mg. 1/day) to zippo in three weeks.  

Reason: I am one of the less than one percent of patients who has had problems with tendinitis beginning around the time I moved up to my maximum dosage, 150mg. a day.

Backstory: Horrible bouts of crying and unable to sleep. Went on Effexor.  The positive side effects: I've been in a really good mood, I only cry when warranted, my sleeping improved from 4 hours a night to 8 hours a night and I experienced weight loss. The negative side effects:  I am unable to exercise due to tendinitis in my Achilles, left thigh, left arm, left wrist and jaw/neck and ears. My sleep went from 8 hours of peace to being 8 hours of what the hell is that...

Symptoms:

January: Tenderness in both Achilles tendons

Bizarre dreams, but I was able to go back into sleep mode if I woke up.

February: Major pain in tendon in left thigh.  Feels like a pull. Crazier dreams.

March: Sore Achilles, left leg, tendon adjacent to bicep in left arm, left wrist, neck and horrible ear and head aches.

Verdict: My PCP and Psychopharm did not know/believe that these symptoms may be a result of taking Effexor BUT, when I told the ENT doctor what my symptoms were and how I felt they were all related..he verified that every part on my body that I mentioned being sore is a TENDON.  If you are wondering how tendinitis effects your ear canals...It is simply that there are tendons fanning out all around each ear.  When the tendons became inflamed, I ended up with an ear ache sensation and a sore jaw/neck/head giving me headaches.

In addition to withdrawing from the Effexor, I am taking an anti-inflammatory three times a day with soft food only for TWO WEEKS! 

One day, I mean THE NEXT DAY after I started the anti-inflammatory the pain in my arm was reduced by 75%..really.  So the ENT doctor asked me to weigh out the positives against the negatives with Effexor..Bye bye Effexor. 

DAY ONE of the withdrawal.

150 to 112.5 for one week. I feel fine. No nausea. No brain zaps or tremors. No headache. I'll blog about my sleep tomorrow.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Thank's for your post. I am actually shocked when reading about the numerous and serious side effects of this drug!

I am coming closer each day to just wanting to get off venlafaxine and not take any drug at all but accept the condition of depression.

If I am honest all medication I have taken was an attempt of running away and not taking full responsibility of what I was feeling, as horrible as it was. I am coming to the point of being more willing to do a radical U-turn and face my fate!

• Posted

Most people are not aware that while taking medication they are actually supposed to take responsibility in parallel. Instead most rely on medicine making it all go away. This is not how it works. During the course of treatment with psychotropics we are supposed to actively seek ways to fix what was broken in us that contributed to our various symptoms escalation to begin with. Medication cushions against massive spikes that make it impossible or difficult to function. Beyond this, the rest is really up to us mainly and how ready we are to pick up the reign. Medication therefore is not what stands in your way. Just food for thought.
    • Posted

I totally agree with you PurpleD. I think proper exercise and nutrition helps a lot in withrawing from this med. i’m currently down (7 days) in my reduction to 75 mg’s from 112 and though I’m finding it a bit tough I will ride out the storm. I figure that depression is not any worse than feeling this crappy on Ven. I will just try and continue to work out and think positive. Hopefully In the long run I will feel better drug free!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Hebbl. U get an attagirl for that post. I’m also getting off this drug. Three weeks ago I was boosted up to 150 Mg’s from 112. Wow what a mistake so the doc put me back down to 112.  Was there for 5 months prior. So last week she suggested I go to 75 Mg’s for 2 weeks and then go down to 37.5 if I feel ok. I just want to get off all these AD’s altogether and try and beat or cope with this crap with exercise and proper nutrition. It sure has been a rocky road on the meds.  Hope everything works out for you!!!!
    • Posted

Hi there

I am going als down to 37.5 and then hopefully off completely. It seems the drugs are real poison to the body, so many side effects on different level and a lot of weired stuff. I don't like that anymore. I am very curious to see how it will be but I don't think I will regret. And if I do, I will just read some of the posts here - that will "refresh" my mind!

Beside excercise and nutrition (I am already a vegan but addicted to sugar!) I'd like to explore depression on the level of 'consciousness' and take full responsibility for it. Most of my life I have been stuck in what I call 'victim consciousness', meaning: depression just happened and I had to deal with it, trying hard all my life (I sm now 55) to get out of it.....but when reading different posts describing the precise symptoms I had and the way it's written, I somehow crinch - even though it is all true, like: I also felt no motivation, pain, no purpose, endless rumination how much better I would be if dead, but:? I can't buy anymore into this whole 'reality' as if it was the only perspective. It's somehow difficult to explain and I don't know if anybody is interested in this exploration...I just start to 'see through' depression, as if it 'served me', for example and clearly giving me 'permission' to withdraw, this way avoiding taking responsibility, stop aiming for anything and put time, effort and learning into it, just using depression as a sort of justification to give up....and the rest of the time pretending. But who forced me to pretend anything? Maybe - I think now - the way is through depression, not around it, kind of fully embracing it! 

Easy to write now with my brain full of venlafaxine, you might think, but....I will do what I can to accept depression - if it comes back once off  meds - and maybe the experience will be more valuable than the process of accepting all sorts of strong side effects of the medication! 

• Posted

I totally understand the way youre looking at this. Just the other day I was windering the same. When I went back on Ven last may, I hadnt really given myself much time weaning off another anti D!!!  Thought I would go back on Ven to make it easier. Well p**s on that. I’m getting off this stuff —- slowly mind you but I’m getting off!!!!!  Lol. And I’m told sugar make the ride a little rougher!!!!  But good luck and stick with youre plan. 
    • Posted

I'm with you!  I think sugar and unfortunately (and I say this from the bottom of my heart) CAFFEINE. Thank you for the well wishes..I mean it.

• Posted

Not too sure about the caffeine thing. I do know too much is not good for you. So many studies out on this. I think its ok in moderation. 
  • Posted

Hi hebbl0743

Im currently withdrawing from ven. I too have the same reasons to come off it like everyone else. I feel it supresses my feelings.Im on 37.5 as we speak having. Beem on 75mg for 8 years. I totally agree that taking responsibility e.g exercising and diet will help enormously at this crucial time to create your own endorphins. Ive had the weird vivid dreams and night sweats can cope with them altho headaches and brain zaps bad but i suspected them i can cope with them its the depression or anxiety i don't want bk. Drink lots of water good tip. I think 3 weeks is v soon to go to nothing i read when u reduce a dose stay on that til side effect free if it takes a month so b it its not a race. Some people wait Months b4 reducing again. Dont forget its built up in the brain so will take time to un built. All i. Can say is dont rush it. It depends how long you been on it too ive been on 8 yrs so im staying on 37.5 for good few months or at least im ready for next cut. Hope this helps x

• Posted

Totally helps. Thank you for replying.  I started the Effexor at the beginning of this past December.  I plan on winding down on the meds up exactly how I wound up.  Like you, I do not  want my symptoms back.  
  • Posted

DAY TWO OF EFFEXOR WITHDRAWAL:

DOSE 112.5 mg ONCE A DAY. 

Sleep: Slept 8 hours.  Dreaming about hiding from OJ Simpson not normal. But I felt rested when I woke up. 

Energy: Motivated. Exercised.  

Appetite: Normal. No nausea.

Physically: Sore arm and achilles tendons. But my jaw, head and earaches are getting better. No brain zaps or tremors.

Emotionally: Good spirits. 

• Posted

EFFEXOR WITHDRAWAL DAY 3-4

I have been exercising and drinking a lot of water per advice from other members.  I feel really good.  No OJ Simpson last night, but my dreams are beyond wild.  Sleeping pretty well. No nausea. No headache. A LOT MORE ENERGY than the previous four months. Have been trying to kick caffeine. Down from 2-8 shots of espresso in the morning to 2.  Aiming for zero. No brain zaps or tremors. 

• Posted

Thanks for posting. I've been terrified by some of the post's on here and how bad the withdrawal can be. You've motivated me to stick to my decision to get off this medication. My side effects are completely different from some I've seen posted yet still they have affected my life tremendously. Since starting Ven several months ago at 37.5, then 75, currently on 150mg for about 3 months, I've experienced extreme tiredness, muscle weakness, weight loss, (which I definitely don't want ),I have no appetite, moodiness and worst of all my depression is worse. I've been on numerous antidepressants in the past and none seem to work for me. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off just trying to get all of them outta my system as I've forgotten how it feels to be drug free. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

I don't have any suggestions but want to encourage you to follow your intuition. I also want to get off all medication and can't imagine trying out any other drugs ever again, but do exercise, yoga, drink lots of water, meditate and if the depression comes back - so be it! I had enough of all the side effects and feeling overall weird with the meds in my system. If it works for people - great, if not: better to let go of them, I believe.

• Posted

Thanks for the response and good luck to you also.

I just feel like I'll be better off without this medicine or any antidepressant for that matter. I think most of my depression was situational and if I'd been aware of the side effects and withdrawals from this stuff, I probably never would have started taking it. It's crazy, your given a med for a problem and the meds make it worse or in some cases I'm sure they might help other people but for me that's not the case at all, now I'm struggling with this issue of withdrawal from a drug that makes me sooo tired and drained that I really was depressed, . Oh well, I'm determined to get off of it, I might have to taper down but however I have to do it, with the help of God, I will make it.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.