Venlafaxine, excessive yauning and chills

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Just a strange question I started 75mg of Venlafaxine yesterday. I can't stop yawning and yawning so much that my eyes are watering and nose running. Also I seem to be very cold and which is unsual for me as I'm normally really hot all the time. Is this something anyone else has experienced or am I just tired/ run down?

Thanks Luke

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would say it's definitely the pills making you yawn, I had exactly the same when I started taking them. It also gave me quite a weird sickly feeling at the back of my throat whenever I did yawn. I think in the leaflet they describe it as 'dry mouth' but it isn't really that. It can last a while but subsides eventually.
  • Posted

Hi Luke it makes be yawn a lot and my legs very heavy when walking up stairs . Not sure about being cold i just thought i was a cold person . 
  • Posted

Hey Luke,

I started 75 about 3 months ago and 150 two months ago. Yawning definitely an initial side effect, which subsided after about 2-3 weeks. I also had "dry mouth" which has subsided as well.

The main side effects I am still experiencing after 3 months is sweating at night and delayed ejaculation.

If you can hang in there, I really am a believer in this antidepressant. I understand it can affect people differently, but for me it has been very helpful.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

• Posted

Thanks everyone thought they may have been side effects .Also being unable sleep like someone has turned on a switch, nothing necessarily going through my mind just blank and unable to sleep.
  • Posted

Hi Luke i am coming off  Ven because of not sleeping for over two years which is one of the side affects. Since coming down i have slept great just got the side affects to deal with which are the worst i have ever known make you feel so poorley .Hope this helps.
  • Posted

I found Venlafaxine did the job as far as being a successful antidepressant. I was on 300mg which is the dose it begins to work on the brain in two ways. I did find it a little 'numbing' in that I wasn't able to cry or have any strong emotions on it.

The side effects in the end are why I moved on to Mirtazapine. The alcohol cravings I got from Venlafaxine were ridiculous plus it stopped the next day 'booze doom' making drinking even more desirable!

The worst side effect for me though was the sweating, both night and day. Even moving slightly or becoming the tiniest bit stressed turned me into Niagra Falls! I have a job where I work very close to people so it really hindered my everyday life.

If the side effects you get are copable though then stick with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.