Venlafaxine for agoraphobia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have recently started Venlafaxine for anxiety - mainly agoraphobia.

I am gradually increasing the dose - just started on 75mg twice a day.

My question is - has anyone on here used it successfully for agoraphobia?

If so, did you just feel more able to go out because your anxiety was less?

Or was it a case of pushing yourself to go out, but feeling less panicky when you did?

I hope that makes sense. It's just that I have had agoraphobia for so long now that the thought of going out of my 'comfort area' just fills me with horror, so I don't even attempt it anymore. I am hoping that the venlafaxine will take those feelings away. 

Any help or advice would be great, thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi im on 37.5mg at nite...i can't take anymore.. it has helped me.. if still got the anxiety but not as bad I had to push myself to go out aswell...the doc has also refereed me to C.B.T aswell x

• Posted

Thanks stacey84 - hope CBT helps you
  • Posted

Hi, I was suffering with agoraphobia bought on by panic disorder. At my worst I couldn't leave my bedroom let alone my house! I'm now on 150mg venlafaxine and am happily going out and about, I still have to give myself a push to go somewhere new (and have someone with me) but it's getting easier all the time ?

• Posted

That's great to hear Rhubarb57 - I hope you continue to improve. I have only been on 150mg for just over a week so hopefully they will start to help in a few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.