Venlafaxine! From brand to generic not good for me :(

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all. 

My first post as Iv been trolling the internet for info before I go & lose it with my GP & pharmacy. 

Has anyone been changed from their original brand Venlafaxine to a generic version & had problems? 

Mine was changed last month assureing me it was exactly the same. 

I feel awful ;(

I couldn’t put my finger on what was wrong. Been getting brain zaps for no apparent reason also vertigo, crying, anxious, suicidal, feeling sick, dry mouth, grinding teeth. 

I tried to reduce my meds last year & this is how it felt. I’m taking the same dosage 150mg of the generic as the original brand. 

Gp & pharmacy are saying there is none of my original brand in the country because of Brexit. I’m in the uk. So if I can’t get my brand & the others dont work the same then what??? I can’t even get to the pharmacy as I darent drive & my anxiety isn’t good at all. 

Iv just started a new job too. So p****d off right now sad 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well, I had a discussion yesterday with my GP as the pharmacy had given me a brand that I had not had before and it was making me feel unwell. My GP s response was, why have they given you that when the prescription clearly says vensir. She the spoke to the pharmacy the result being that I was given vensir but because they had no 150 grm casuals I have to take two 75 mg instead. I did say to my GP that perhaps it was because they didn't have anything else and surely they are the same. Her response was they should have prescribed as the prescription stated. So all I can say is that what I was given made me feel unwell when I had not been unwell before.

• Posted

Hi Joanna. Thanks for your message. The chemical ingredients in the generic brands legally have to be the same but nothing else in them is regulated. The up take of the generic version wasn’t working with me so I was getting withdraws. It’s not good hun. I managed to get to the doctors today & as of today I’m coming off venlafaxine! It’s now or never I feel. Are you in the uk? My pharmacy had 75mg of vensir but only had 6 pills. Wtf! They called other pharmacies but no where has them. My doctor then wrote another prescription for a 150mg tablet of a differant brand which I refused or I could have a whole new brand!!! I’m done being a bloody guinea pig for greedy pigs so I’m going cold turkey as of today & already I’m feeling unwell. 

To be fair the doctors & pharmacists have their hands tied where the medication is concerned. If it’s not in the country what can they do? Doesn’t make it right at all though & it’s going to cause an up roar. I’m just glad I realised what was happening. Hope you’re feeling brighter today ??

• Posted

Yes I am in the UK. Yes it was mentioned that there are supply difficulties. As for coming off the drug I have heard it is very difficult and must be managed if to be successful. I take the drug for chronic pain although it was also prescribed for depression and anxiety caused by the huge impact my conditions n had on my life. Please be careful as going cold turkey could make you very unwell. Could you not discuss swapping to another medication. I took ecitalopram before venlafaxine. Look after yourself.
    • Posted

Hi.  I’m not too bad so far. I think I’ll be ok😬 Made of tough stuff & mentaly ready to quit these. The withdrawals are horrible but it won’t last & they vary from person to person. Iv got some support & a kinda plan in place lol so I should be ok 🙏🏼 & if not then I’ll have to go on something else but I personally feel I need to get off venlafaxine at least as I have too many side effects which now don’t out weigh the original issue. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.