Venlafaxine headache/head pressure

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I’ve been on venlafaxine 9 weeks in total. 2 weeks at 75msg, 2 weeks 150msg and 5 weeks 225mgs. 

I have seen small improvements in mood but still not good. My main concern right now is the headaches, feels like tension headaches and pressure in the front of my head. It leaves me unable to function as I just want to rest. I’m also tired, Lack energy and motivation but I do feel if the headaches went I would be in a much better position to try and push myself to do more. 

Has anyone had this? Or side effects that’s lasted longer than the normal 2-3 weeks that they say. I really want this drug to work as had few failed ADs and I’m wasting my life being like this. And as there have been tiny improvements I’m willing to hang on until 6/8 weeks on this dose. Has anyone taken longer to recover fully? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have been on ven for 9weeks also....still having side effects went up to 50mg 2 weeks ago....nausea dizzy and very tired! They have improved my mood though....just hate this feeling...doctor told me they can take up to 12 weeks to settle! Hope ure better soon x
    • Posted

Actually, it was 9 weeks to feel i was starting to recover. Took diazepam throughout, meant i never had any side effects. 9 weeks of depressing misery.
    • Posted

Your on 50mgs now? That’s low. I’m on 225mgs no wonder I’m feeling rubbish. I’m very tired and don’t want to do much at all. Also having headaches and foggy brain. Can you function? I spend a lot of time in bed resting as I feel rubbish! 
    • Posted

Yeah I started on 37.5mg....im very sensitive to meds.... on 50mg now, I can function I also have a couple of bad days where I need to lie down I feel drained ..but my doctors told me for every dose they put u up ...it takes another 4 weeks to settle x
  • Posted

Took me 10 weeks to START to recover, 16 weeks, to have first feeling good all week.
  • Posted

When did the headaches start? 

Maybe the dose is too high for you. I found that 150mg gave me headaches. The 75mg improved my mood and headaches. 37.5mg no headaches no brain fog. 

I think it may be a case of trial and error. It’s difficult I know. I would be tempted not to take such a big dose so quickly. 

Sara x

• Posted

Yes you may be right. I’m going to talk to pysch later and see if I can reduce a little to see if it helps the headaches x
  • Posted

Hi Vicki. How did you get on with the psych? I really hoped you'd get some relief after you'd been changed to the extended release sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.