venlafaxine help

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi everyone im in desperate need of some advice. i have recently upped my venlafaxine to 225 from 150 4 days ago. my doc said that 150 would not do anything because of how bad my anxiety / obsessional thoughts are. does anyone no how long it normally takes to feel the benefit of the increase? do i have to wait another 4 - 6 weeks ?? many thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi iv also just gone up be 2weeks on Thurs .. Iv been told off here that itl take at least 4weeks 😕
  • Posted

Hi Ian, In my experiance, an increased dose helped me pretty straight away (within the first week), if any of that was a placebo effect, I'm not sure. But as you have already been taking venlafaxine, you will feel the benifits sooner than if you had just started. 

• Posted

hiya thanks for the replies. i am on day 5 and im worried that it is going to work for me sad how long should i give it do u think

many thanks ian

• Posted

Are you on any other meds? Did you get offered a course of Diazepam?

It depends on how bad your symptoms are. If you feel like you are not coping very well, I would go back on Monday. Hope your not feeling to bad.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply really appreciate it. Yes I take quetiapine and yea I have some diazepam. The doctor said I may experience some more intense anxiety when I increase. But didn't no weather it was true or not

• Posted

Everyones different, Diazepam is ok for a few days just to relax and have a bit more of an attention span. I am also taking quetiapine, the same as you. I have my normal dose, but for some reason my Dr also perscribed 25mg PNR? Its hard when your anxiety is feeding your thoughts, Its crazy that anxiety can pop its head up whenever it likes, just have to remember it will go away, try to liken it to something like hiccups, its just the body being stupid. 
    • Posted

Hello yeah I'm on 400mg quetiapine daily. What is PNR. I just praying it works I have severe anxiety ocd

• Posted

Sorry, ment "PRN" instead of PNR. PRN means "when necessary" (from the Latin "pro re nata", for an occasion that has arisen, as circumstances require, as needed) Something the Dr pts on your script so you take it when you want/need to. Have you been to any groups or been offered CBT (Cognative behaviour Therapy) May help with anxiety and maybe your OCD, Didn't do anything for me but I have spoken to a few people that have benefitted from it, so It might be worth a shot?

• Posted

hi yeah i do cbt at the moment but it does nothing for me its a waste of time to be honest. my psych said my condition is to bad for cbt at the moment and need to get on a high dose of ven. but i keep thinking its not going to work sad

• Posted

i struggle to get my mind off my feelings. i feel like im not a real person and my body isnt mine. (depersonalization) aleways feel really weird like something is not right etc... its awful sad. how do u think i should stick with the ven at 225 ?

• Posted

I know how you feel, The lack of confidence with the Tabs maybe down to your OCD. 225 is a reasonable dose, my dose is the same but split so its 150mg in the morning and75mg at night and that makes a difference, you could ask about Pregabalin if you have not tried it before. It works quiet well for me, but at the same time you don't want to start taking to many tablets, especially if your paying for your perscription. Depersonalization is a funny one, as you start to get other things sorted out or even just on a level playing field so you know what your dealing with, things wil start to get better. You will need try really hard and put some structure into the day, (even if its just little things) you should find a sort of tolerable reality that you can identify with. Sounds a little sad when you say it like that, but slowly you will find yourself and be a much stronger person for it. Things will get simpler mate. 

• Posted

Cheers mate

Do u think the 225 will work and how long should I give it

Many thanks for the reply

• Posted

The increase of 75mg will definatly have an effect, but It wont be like the snap of your fingers. If you can, try and see how it goes for another week, but it all depends on how severe your symptoms are, and only you know how you feel. Use the Diazepam sparingly, but it works pretty much straight away and will get you through bad patches. If you are not noticing a change in mood after another week, let them know. But honestly, its hard to say how long as I don't know how you feel when your good and how you feel when your bad, its only relative to you. Others say about four weeks, but as I said, for me, I noticed the difference after about 7-10 days with an increased dose. You are worrying about something that takes time, and sadly you can't speed it up or slow it down, and don't go increasing it yourself because more is not always better. wink

• Posted

many thanks for the reply. well the 150mg didnt really do anything for me bu tim really hoping this one does. yes i use diazpeam only when i have to. i just wanted some kind of guideline so i knew. i will give it 2 weeks and see how i feel after that smile

• Posted

Good luck, and remember Pregabalin might be worth a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.