Venlafaxine increase

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I've been on Venlafaxine 75mg since September 15. These are used to treat GAD. I'm increasing the dose by another 37.5mg as directed by my doctor. I need to be on at least 150mg to get the full effect of the drug. 75mg is the minimum therapeutic dose given. This obviously isn't enough. My question is, has anyone upped the dose? Doctors state that it takes time for a drug to get into your system and work but being that I'm already on these tablets and the dose increase isn't that massive, would they get into my system straight away or would it still take time? I know everyone is different so not all responses will be the same. Thanks in advance. Chris.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Chris,  Boro's reaction to venlafaxine seemed a bit extreme...not that I could compare it with ecstasy myself because I've never been near any...but perhaps you were on the lucky side with your side effects though, this is the second time I've been on venlafaxine and I definitely started to feel rough after 2 or 3 days. I still feel slightly queasy sometimes even after 6 mths or so but my main problem with it which i have messaged about before is chronic insomnia.
    • Posted

Yes I thought it was too. I've never had ecstasy either but I doubt the pills were having any effect after 1 day. Is this your first time on them or an increase? What's your dose? Are they treating anxiety too or depression? I was on them for 5 yrs. came off them a year ago but badly relapsed. Went back on them September but now having to up the dose. My psychiatrist said by another 75mg but I'm reluctant to do that so I've opted for the 37.5 and see how it goes. I'm sure I'll feel kak but I've to push myself through it.
    • Posted

I was on them several years ago, I cannot remember the dose I was on then. I then went back to clomipramine (quite an old fashioned antidepressant I believe-tricyclic). Last year my Dr (now a different Dr) prescribed venlafaxine again, I don't like it but it gives me a bit of a lift/boost. I am taking quite a high dose ie.300mg of which I have to take 150mg in the morning and 150mg at night as prescribed. I now have to take 20mg of amitripyline to help me sleep due to the chronic insomnia caused by the venlafaxine. I would like at least to reduce the dose a bit but my Dr is reluctant. I suffered  from anxiety and depression for many years, it's hard to say which came first-I suspect the anxiety.
    • Posted

Yes that is a high dose isn't it. I'm not trying to pry and you don't have to tell me but what sort of state was you in to be prescribed that dose?
  • Posted

Hard to explain really, had been out of work several months at the time but have now managed to get a part-time job (phew!...that was so hard to begin with but I've hung on). I felt very low, sensitive and reclusive but never suicidal or anything. Maybe Doc thought it was an equivelent dose to the clomipramine that I was on previously???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.