Venlafaxine - name change?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I've been on efexor xl 150mg for over a year (this time round)

went to pick up my pills from chemist and they tried to give me Rodomel xl instead.

So tried different chemist they tried to give me Tardcaps XL.

Whats going on?

Anyone tried either of these drugs?

I know the active ingredient is the same but worries about messing with my mind drugs!

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

After 3 days of Rodomel XL I felt like crap.

Headache, dry mouth, shakes, emotions on a rollercoaster, couldn't sleep, or concentrate.

Went back to docs and finally sorted out getting efexor xl back.

12 hours later feeling back to \"normal\"

anyone else had this?

• Posted

Hi

I got my new perscription last week and it had chaged to Viepax. I was told that it was the same as Ven, but I have had a crap day and seem to be very jittery and all I wanted to do was cry. This isn't normal for me!

Maybe it has changed after all??

• Posted

Hi all

I've been taking venlafaxine xl at 225mg for about 2 years.

Ive been taking the Efexor xl all this time but now I am taking a combination of Rodomel xl and Winfex xl.

I started taking the Rodomel about a month ago and my 'mood' quickly went down hill, feel lethargic, confused and headachy.

I was told by my chemist that Venlafaxine has come off licence and other people can manufacture it now.

Efexor was made by Wyeth in the UK and Ireland, Rodomel is made in Slovenia and Winfex is made in Greece.

I dont know if there are different levels of ingredients or different formulas in these other copies. That could be why people are having mood changes on these other drugs.

• Posted

Hi there,

I have just started taking Rodomel XL also and I feel really awful from it, feel so nauseous, dry mouth, shaking, anxious, broken sleep all last night, chest feels tight, arms keep tingling, keep getting like electric shock sensations in my hands :S Is it supposed to be this vile?! I wanna get better but damn lol!

• Posted

Venlafaxine was originally marketed in the UK as Efexor made by Wyeth. Because the drug has now lost it's patent, all the generic companies can now make it. The active ingredient is still the same. The pharmacy has to supply the generic because the NHS will not pay the cost of efexor anymore, as the price falls once a patent is lost. The best thing to do is try the generic for at least a month, if you have severe problems, talk to your GP about having the script written for 'Efexor'. This will cost your GP more, so they may be reluctant, hence you will need to convince them. I know this doesn't sound very sympathetic, but this is how the NHS works when a drug loses it's patent.
  • Posted

I was put on Rodomel xl earlier this year for about 6 months and found I coped very well on 75mg. I am about to request it again as I need to get through a family situation. I didn't have any of the symptoms mentioned below and I got through the difficult time without increasing the dose. I hope this helps Sarah R.
  • Posted

hi ya ive been on efexor xl for 2 yrs now an been fine ,then i went to get my pre n was given romodel an for the last week i have felt weird,like i do if i sometimes miss a dose, so its not just u x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.