Venlafaxine Not Working

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

​I have been on 150 mgs of Venlafaxine for three weeks. I am also on 30 mgs Mirtazapine, 75 mgs of Pregabalin and 50-100 mgs of Trazodone daily. I was previously on 30 mgs of Citalopram, and had been on Cit for 18 years.

​I continue to feel extremely anxious and am shaky and jittery in the mornings. My sleep is generally poor, despite the Trazodone. I am depressed, but some days are better than others. I have now been off work for a month.

​I am wondering how long to give the Ven

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda .. that's alot of meds.. it usually takes effect 4 weeks or so .. trazadone makes you sleep so does venlafaxine & mirtazapine, maybe this is the reason why ??

• Posted

I'm wondering why you are on all 4 drugs which can all make you sleepy. I am on 225mg venlafaxine and 30mg mirtazapine, but when my GP suggested I took trazodone as well for my anxiety and to help me sleep, the psychiatrist said it wasn't advisable because they interact. I now take a very low dose of haloperidol, which is a different sort of drug apparently. Perhaps you need to ask your doctor for some advice on how long you need to give the venlafaxine to work, and check whether the combination of drugs might be having an adverse effect.

• Posted

Hi Pixie,

?That's very interesting what you say about my drug mix. I was put on Pregabalin for anxiety at the beginning of this year. No one has mentioned the interaction between Ven, Mirt and Trazodone. I will go back to my GP. Thanks very much for your good advice: very much appreciated.

• Posted

i hate it that GPs prescribe psychotropic medication. Too many drugs in the mix and then you never really know what is working and what is not. Ven will take a minimum of 4 weeks to start actually helping a little. Notable effects after 2-3 months which is how long it takes for the brain to fall into a more acceptable pattern. However, no idea how that will go down wiith the other drugs in the mix. Do expect worsening while you adjust. Ven is quite potent. But it slowly gets better. All the best.
    • Posted

Thanks very much for your very helpful advice. I am slowly improving. See GP tomorrow. Computer playing up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.