Venlafaxine Not Working - Please, Please Help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I have been on venlafaxine for 5 weeks, quickly moved up to 225mg over two weeks ago.  My mood has not improved at all, and yesterday, for the first time in a long time, I felt very suicidal.  I have suffered with severe depression for the last 8 months, my mood is terrible in the mornings but does improve slightly as the day goes on.  I have tried Sertraline but had a terrible reaction.  

i was then put on mirtazapine, which I'm still on, which helped the insomnia and anxiety but not depression.  I'm still on mirtazapine, now with the added venlafaxine.  

I'm petrified that I now have the type of depression which is resistent to treatment.  I know for complete certain that I can't carry on living like this.

Any advice anyone? Please x

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Could it be the mirtazapine ? What amount are you on ? I know I had to come of Mirtazapine 45mg after 9 or so days as I was really low and constantly in tears
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm new to this my name is Em, from reading your post, I'm so sorry that you feel that way. I have tried a lot of medication over the last 18 years, and I am now on medications for different things, I am on Mirtazapine for flash backs and night mares, but apparently either being on 30mg or 40mg will work so that might be worth looking at. I am also on quetiapine for my rapid mood swings as I got diagnosed last year with type two bipola. I am also on Venlafaxine modified release for my depresssion, over the last few weeks my husband noticed I wasn't quite myself. The only thing that had changed was the type of Venlafaxine I was used to taking capsules (375mg) and a few weeks ago the chemist changed the two 150mg to tablet form, I'm sure everyone doesn't want to hear this but it's something to watch out for, I noticed that when I was going to the toilet the tablets were coming out whole, so I'm not too sure how long this has been going on!! but it's worth everyone to be aware of!

Let me know how it all goes

Em xx

• Posted

Hi Em! Don't worry about the tablet apparently passing through. The pharmacist explained it to me - but it was embarrassing asking him! The tablet is like a dosing ball from which the venlafaxine is absorbed as it passes through the gut, so what comes out at the other end is the empty framework. I see it too, when I look! I'm on venlafaxine and mirtazapine, working well for me.
    • Posted

Hi Em, thank you for your post.  It would seem we are both in the same place with regards to medication.  I saw my psychiatrist last night who has now added Quetiapine to the Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine. He's done this to help boost the antidepressants.  I'm to take 50mg at night and the same   each morning.  The Mirtazapine is to stay at 30mg and the Venlafaxine to stay at 225mg, as I have only been on this dose for just over two weeks.

Now just hoping that something starts to work soon.  

Is is there anything to watch out for with the Quetiapine?  I'm feeling a little spaced out this morning and didn't sleep so well last night after taking  it?

Thanks again Emily xxxx

• Posted

Hi,

Your more than welcome. At first with quitiepine I was really tired but that soon wore off but that was before I was on venlaxine stick with it if it works

Em

• Posted

Hi again, how long have you been on the venlafaxine? Did it work quickly for you? Gen x
    • Posted

Hi Gen,

I  was on the venlafaxine modified release capsules at first and back on them as the venlafaxine modified release tablets didn't help. I surpose it did take about three weeks to kick in. But I've never had any other medication that puts my low mood into a really good mood that is the only one. I started off at a smaller does but gradually went up to the top dose.

Em xx

• Posted

Thanks Emily.  Are your capsules the Effexor brand or do the generic venlafaxine come in capsule form as well as tablet form? Gen x
    • Posted

I'm not sure my capsules come in the modified release.

To be honest with you for what it's worth your doctor is putting you on the best type of medication, but can I ask is he just saying it's depression or do you need to take them for another health issue?

Em xx

• Posted

Hi, it's depression and anxiety.  The Mirtazapine helps the sleep and anxiety but nothing is yet working for the depression.  I took Quetiapine Monday night and had a really good day Tuesday/Wednesday but today have woken feeling awful again.  The same thing happened when I increased the dose of Venlafaxine a few weeks ago, felt completely back to normal for 3 days and then mood dropped terribly.  Not sure why that happens xxx
  • Posted

Hi

Following on from my last chat

Sorry I mean't 30mg or 45mg of mirtazapine

Em xx

• Posted

Wow emily you are 3  different drugs, that  is impressive. Do they work for you ?
    • Posted

They work in different ways it's only taken 18 years to get some proper help!! Xx

Em

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.