Venlafaxine pros, cons and side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, So I am new to this sort of thing/forums but felt the need to get feedback from others to help me on my journey with Venlafaxine.

I have had bad depression for about 18 months.. previously on mirtazapine and this year moved onto Venlafaxine.. I started on a low dose and now I am on 125mg. Overall I haven't been overwhelmed. It has made things more manageable but it is almost as f**k it blocks out all the depression and I am basically relying on it to get through each day.

Some days I am still very low so I am not sure if it is for me as I just want something to help me steadily and then I can eventually be weaned off.

I stupidly left my medication at work on Friday and have gone all weekend without it. The side effects within just these couple of these has been awful. I have had bad insomnia and then when I do drop off to sleep I am having terrible nightmares, I am crying constantly at everything and feeling more depressed than I have in months, I am looking at life in a negative way, I have awful dizzy spells and keep getting the 'Brain Zapping' I have read about.. this is all just in one weekend.. It is making me worry for when I eventually get weaned off of it in general.. Will it be like this? How long will it last? What can help with it ?

I would like it if anyone could give me any advice.

Thank you !

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura

I came off venlafaxine a few years ago and as long as you do it slowly over a couple of months it's OK. I'm back on it now (375mg) and ran out of meds for a week, it was awful. It felt like I was dying.

Have you got your meds back today? Once you take them again the withdrawal effects will go in a couple of hours.

I found it did absolutely nothing for me until I was on 300mg so it may be worth asking if you can up your dose to see if that helps.

Good luck smile

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

Sorry for late reply..

Thank you for the message. I am at the doctors tomorrow so I will be asking him to go up a dose.

It has helped me since being on it but it hasn't helped me a much as I thought it would.

I feel alot better now I have taken my tablets the last 2 days and I am back up to date.. all the side effects have gone so I am pleased. The dizziness and sickness was awful !

Thank you. 😋

• Posted

Hi Laura,

125mg is quite a low dose - I've been on it for only 4 weeks for relatively mild depression (didn't feel mild to me, but I'm aware some sufferers are much worse!) initially 75mg per day, and my doctor wanted to up the dose after two weeks to 150mg - I held off a week as the side effects were quite bad but after three weeks went to 150mg without too much trouble. I've been on it before, and last time was on 225mg per day - coming off was no problem, done slowly, that was 7 years ago. Have a word with your doctor, and get the dose up - you may suffer some side effects at first but it will pass and a high enough dose will sort you out, I'm sure, it's a very effective drug.

Good luck and stay strong,

Mike

• Posted

Thank you Mike. I am definitely going to go up a dose.

Also.. mild depression is still depression no matter what term the give you. It still feels rubbish I know.

I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.