Venlafaxine sleep issues on XR but not IR?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I'm after some advice please smile

I have recently changed from citalopram to venlafaxine. At first I was put on 37.5mg of the instant release and had the best 8/9 nights sleep I've had in years! However the last couple of those days I'd started to feel anxious in the evenings so my doctor decided it was time to increase. He gave me 75mg of the extended release and I'm now back to intermittent sleep! I'll sleep for 3 hours be awake for 1.5-2 hours and then sleep for another 3 hours sad it's been 9 days since I started the XR and the sleep issue is very frustrating! I'm contemplating going back to the 37.5mg instant release twice a day on the hope I start sleeping properly again. My doctor has told me he's happy to let me change and see if it helps but I just wanted to see if anyone else had had a similar experience?

Thanks for reading xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm just going to be starting on the 37.5 tomorrow night. Have they helped you with the depression?

• Posted

Yes I've definitely seen an improvement. My motivation increased within a couple of days! Are you starting on the instant release? X

• Posted

Hey there Rhubarb 57 

Yes indeed this is an issue that I've found with this medication! I started on the 75mg twice a day, but due to so many side effects I decreased to 75mg once a day. However I still suffered the same fatigue, I'd wake in the morning to go to the loo & thought I'd have another hour or so & this is at like 9:30-10am the next minute I no it's like 1:30-3:10pm.

I'm now on the 37.5mg dosage as I'm tapering of off it due to like I say side effects and the sleep issue is an 'issue'. I'm on 'alot' of medication that makes you tired anyway & I don't mind my sleep i.e rest but there's sleep and then there's sleep! Even on the 37.5mg dosage I am sleeping alot, yes this is pretty common with Venlafaxine I have found. It has also increased my depression, my anxiety and paranoia I seem to be suffering with.

• Posted

Are you on the XR or immediate release? I didn't have this issue on the immediate release at 37.5mg, not sure if it was the dose increase or the change in release. Saying that I have just slept 6 hours straight through 😁 x

• Posted

I really haven't got any clue as to what release I'm on to be honest, as all it says on the box is Venlafaxine 37.5mg 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.