Venlafaxine, standard to XR.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I've been taking 150mg of Velnafaxine for about six months now and have found it works for me. However, I was experiencing an issue that I put down to being on standard tablets. As these have a short half-life, it occurred to me that I was on a rollercoaster as regards serum level.

The issue was simple. I take my pills at noon and about 2am respectively, 75mg each time. By around 11pm, I tended to fall asleep, sitting up, leaning against my bed's headboard, or even just in a chair. The desire to sleep was undeniable and dropping off would be common.

This begged a question, is narcolepsy a withdrawal effect? This would fit with the drug's half-life expiring.

To counter this, my GP, as asked, has put me on 75mg XR per day. He'd like to see me taking less and I would too. SO far, halving the dose in this way has made no real difference at all.

any thoughts, experiences or suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.

David

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm just wondering how you are finding the XL tablets now as I have recently been switched from IR to XL.

Have they balanced out now?

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi James,

Yes thank you, the new regime is stable now. I elected to effectively halve my intake and this has worked well. I took this decision as on the standard pills, I wasn't covered in the evenings within the half life. Now, I take the pill around noon and am still receiving the effect the next morning. Nothing of any significance happened during the changeover. Now, I'm finding myself a lot less sleepy in the evening. I can still experience overwhelming tiredness but it doesn't last as long and can be overcome more easily.

I hope this helps, David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.