Venlafaxine start up

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello. I've just gone on to 37.5 mg Venlafaxine MR. This is for chronic (40 year) health anxiety that started after I witnessed My dad's death. It's been triggered again by massive stressors including a spell of atrial fibrillation and a collapse caused by Sertraline. On top, my lease car failed and crashed, while my divorce case comes up the first week in September.

I was given Buspirone and then Risperidone but both failed to offer anything but side effects.

I took the first ven last night...got a headache, palpitations and a couple of hot flushes. Not a great sleep.

I had ven for 6 months in 2014...no problems going on or coming off it.

Now, the stress makes me look for problems, this is since the stressors combined.

I've a divorce case conference on Friday...hope I'm more accustomed to the ven effects by then.

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I took pill no. 14 last night and woke after a drenching sweat - at least one expected effect took place!

Perhaps it was naive of me to expect a noticeable lifting of mood but one didn't happen.

So, what with the nausea, stomach ache and anxiety, I've felt pretty low today. My best friend was staying and I felt bad for being subdued and not too communicative.

• Posted

Not fun huh sad You shouldn't be sweating on 37.5. Can you try to take it midday instead of night. Ven is normally not supposed to be taken at night by the way because it interferes with sleep patterns. Typically best taken midday. Psychiatrist confirmed smile Further, lifting of mood will start after you get to 75mg at least which is when the SSRI effect takes hold. At around 150mg SNRI effect takes hold for those with more complex needs...hang in there. It is a slow process with ven.

• Posted

Thanks. I'm sleeping fine because my sleeping pattern is weird anyway. I retire in the small hours and surface late morning - this has been entrenched for years. The sweat has been a one off so far.

I'm mainly interested in ven's anxiolytic effect - anxiety is my main problem after all. I see the GP who prescribed on the 13th Sept. He wants a sitrep then and will up the dosage as necessary.

• Posted

Same thing. Anxyolitic effect is notable at 75mg. For extreme GAD and similar conditions usually 150mg is the way to go. Depending how you respond to 75. If at 75 you start to balance out the doc will keep you on it until you seem to stop improving (plateau). Then up it or not if you stabilize. But you have some time to go still and have to also make sure it sits well with you and works smile It didn't interfere with my sleep either (except at start-up), and i decided to take it at night to sleep through the nausea that used to come 2 hours after taking it for a while until i got used to it. Well that was until my psychiatrist found out and reprimanded me. He said that ven is not to be taken at night. Midday through to 3 pm latest. See with your doc. The sweats usually start at higher doses. I never had them even on 150mg. But everyone is different. I hop eyou feel better very soon.

• Posted

Very useful information Purple doberman, thank you. A paper I read said that 37.5mg is the right starting dose for GAD/panic disorder. It said 75mg is optimal while some patients need 150mg. The top dose is 225mg.

When I used Ven in 2014, I think I was on 75mg. I don't recall having nausea or sweats, just two episodes of sedation. I was highly functional on it but this was before the quadruple whammy of negative events early this year.

Thanks for the good wishes, I hope I improve significantly soon...seven months of being avoidant through panic disorder is enough.

• Posted

Well, I took pill no.18 last night and there's still little positive effect.

And now I'm suffering. Meeting with my divorce lawyer and solicitor triggered a big panic attack ten days ago. In three days, I must go to court, spend an hour in discussion with the same people then attend the hearing.

Now I'm panicking about it. My best friend and sponsor (if he can) will be coming up (100 miles) to take/support me.

I've been worrying since the last event, avoiding things and feeling bad. I've been upping my Valium intake....this is what I have on which to rely.

I can't change or miss the hearing, all that will stop it is what I fear.

Any suggestions?

• Posted

I think you should have been on steady doses of alprazolam instead of diazepam during adjustment. It builds up nicely and works quite well with ven as i have seen from others taking it but also personal experience. Diazepam is more hot/cold while xanax tends to be steady and smooth. Too late for that now. Timing is bad but you have survived the last panic attack. Dreading it only ensures you will have one. The only thing you can do is try to get rest until the day. Maybe try going for a massage. Take your dose of valium night before and top up in the morning, around an hour before your appointment. Or just in the morning, but then take 2.5 mg if you haven't taken the night before. Extreme situation = 'extreme' measures smile I am teasing because i still think that anything below 2.5 mg is a joke smile Then go there, get the job done and then you can fall apart if you will. You know you will manage. I wish you an easy feat at the court. Focus on things that are within your control. Ignore what you can't change.  Simplify it in your head. I don't know what is at stake obviously, but it doesn't really matter. It just is what it is. I don't have more practical advice. This is all about you gathering up courage and accepting the situation. You will get through it - like a kid being born: you are going out there one way or another smile sending love

Meanwhile, you see your doctor after the court not before huh...great sad. I was going to say maybe if you can start upping the dose, even by half a pill you may get some additional shield by the time for court...any chance to speak to your doctor somehow today/tomorrow?

• Posted

I went out this afternoon to do a recce at the court building. I had a message on returning home. This told me that the court hearing has been brought forward 24 hours and the venue changed to the town hall.

My barrister can make it but my friend is working and can't attend.

So, it's on Thursday morning now.

I took 2mg Valium today (2pm and 5.30pm) and managed with hardly a care.

I plan to have an easy day tomorrow and try to relax.

By the way, I can't contact the doc quickly. I'd have to book a phone consultation and that would be days away.

• Posted

hmmm...Maybe it is better that it has been moved. Less time for you to stress over. Be over sooner too. Sending whatever positive thoughts i can muster after working all night because working hours are no longer enough and having too much coffee that i am not even allowed. smile x

• Posted

Well, I was well - stressed overnight and used my usual early rising tactic.Rather than lying down to sleep, I just nodded off sitting up.

In all, I took 8 x 2mg Valium (twice the permitted amount) over 24hrs but it did the trick.

I was at the court at 8:45. Six hours later, I was divorced...Even the consent order and decree absolute are done.

The outcome was a bit more financially wounding than expected but I'll be keeping my house. It's a huge relief after the prospect of losing it went on for 27 months.

So, end of an era...onward and upward!

• Posted

I followed with baited breath and wanted to be the first to congratulate you and to say well done! You did it.

🍻 Cheers.

Sara x

• Posted

Well, thank you Sara.

It was very much a matter of no choice - I had to grasp the nettle and attend on the appointed day.Otherwise, the cost would have spiralled. But it's nice to receive your good wishes and congratulations.Thank you.

The irony is that my ex got our holiday flat and she doesn't know l'll be going into business in competition with her. I plan to rent the ground floor of the house to holidaymakers!

• Posted

The first day of the rest of your life. Wishing you love and luck in your new business venture! 😉

Sara x

• Posted

Well sounds like some weight has been lifted. Do expect to feel a bit worse once you release some pent-up tension but then you can look forward to better days soon. What a relief! Onward and upward is what I wish for yu too! smile

• Posted

I'm feeling exhausted after the intensity of yesterday. However, I'm continuing planning the business start - up, as I have been for some time. My newly created ex is appearing tomorrow - she has seven days to get the remainder of her stuff out of the house.

Business challenges will present themselves but I've been running the joint holiday flat for six years so it's familiar territory. I'm confident that making a better living will make me feel better.

• Posted

After a couple of visits from the ex, quite a lot of her stuff has been taken and arrangements are being made for the bigger things to be collected.

I had my 24th Ven last night. I've noticed a slight lifting of mood but no anxiolytic effect as yet. I see my GP tomorrow and will see what he thinks about my going up from 37.5 to 75mg/day.

• Posted

So things are moving in the right direction. And already your mood is starting to lift. Do you think it might be worth holding fire before asking for an increase in Ven? I'm sure your GP will advise. Best of luck. 😊 X

• Posted

Thanks, Sara,

I'll run the idea past the doc and see what he thinks.

My reasoning is that (if memory serves) I was taking 75mg back in 2014 and it helped then. I also read a scientific paper that suggeted 75mg was optimal for anxiety, qhilw some patients need 150mg. We'll see what is recommended.

• Posted

Sounds like a plan

I'm desperately trying to reduce my medication. But life keeps getting in the way! 😏 X

• Posted

All the best with your plan. Rather than pushing the issue, it might be better to map out a withdrawal with careful scheduling. You could put it on a wall calendar and even include rewards for achieving benchmarks?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.