Venlafaxine Stopped working after 6 months?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, After 5 good months of taking Venlafaxine and getting my life back together, being back at work etc my depressive symtoms seem to be creeping back in along with increased anxiety levels, i feel like I'm back on that downward spiral to go back to where I was 12 months ago! 

I've had to take some more time off work as I feel so bad these last few days, got a Dr's appt next Monday couldn't get in any sooner unfortunately. 

Is this an early poop out from the Venlafaxine? I don't know what to do I didn't think I'd be here again so soon. Currently on 150mg XR with 10mg of AbilifyI know they will be reluctant to increase the Ven as I suffer from biploar disorder and they are worried about mania but I've never had mania.

Has anyone else had any experience of Venlafaxine pooping out after so little time? Would an increase help me? sad

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was on it for 2 years and it didn't do a thing for me apart from make me feel worse. This has always been the case for me with all antidepressants over the last 32 years. I don't take them anymore as no point if they don't work and make me feel worse
    • Posted

Hi Michael, hope you're doing ok without the meds and on your herbal alternatives.  Out of interest, what dose did you get up to on the venlafaxine? Gen
    • Posted

Hi

I was on 175mg of venlafaxine. I'm not taking the herbal remedy anymore as its working out to expensive. I'm not good at the moment I'm feeling very unwell.

• Posted

I have been on venlafaxine 150mg for about 4 months and mirtazipine 15mg. I was inital better but it got that bad at the weekend i ended  up in hospital after overdose.

I am back seeing doctor on monday but I am out of hospital without any support!

• Posted

Hi Liam, I'm bipolar and have been taking 800mg Lithium and 300mg Venlafaxine for the past 16 years. I have found both these meds very effective for me along with managing stress, getting enough sleep and exercise/healthy eating. I have continued to have episodes of depression and mood swings once or twice a year but nowhere near as severe as before I was on this combination of meds. As I have got older things have got better and interestingly since I reached menopause (I'm 56 now) and also was retired from work 3 years ago on health grounds I have not had a single depressive episode! I have begun to wean off the Venlafaxine now (very slowly) and am down to 150mg.

The point of telling you this is to say it sounds as if the Venlafaxine is suiting you but you may need it increased (at least until the symptoms you are experiencing stop). Everyone is different and it's not good enough for the medics to say they are worried it will give you a manic episode - if you've not had one so far, or only hypomania (a milder version that I get) - you may respond well to an increase, as I did. Good Luck,

Sue

• Posted

thank you. you have given me some hope. I hope that on monday the doctor will adjust my dosage.
    • Posted

Hi Yvonne, so pleased to see you back on here, I've been worried for you.

Why can't you see your doctor before Monday, surely you're classed as an emergency patient?  I'm back to psychiatrist tomorrow, some days I think the venlafaxine may be working slightly and other days not.  

I hope you have peaceful weekend, take good care of yourself. Gen x

• Posted

Hi, I'm currently on 225mg venlafaxine but it's not really doing the job, did you find a big difference when you moved to 300mg? Gen 
    • Posted

I saw locum at doctor's today but she would not do anything because I am seeing psychiatrist on monday! Even my cpn would not see me.
    • Posted

That's unbelieveable. I hope Monday's appt goes well.  You have room for dose increases on both the venlafaxine and mirtazapine.  Let me know how you get on.  

Are ypu getting any more sleep?

• Posted

They really need to sort the sleep issue out, it's no wonder you're in such a bad way.  Even people without mental health issues would severely struggle with the lack of sleep you're experiencing.  

I've just been prescribed Quetiapine to boost the venlafaxine and mirtazapine, it is also prescribed off label for insomnia, worth a mention to your doctor.  I take it at night, with the mirtazapine, and it definately works for sleep.

i do know what you're going through having suffered terribly with sleep deprivation for 4 months.  You will find something that helps. It doesn't feel like that now but it will happen.  xxx

• Posted

Hi Gen, I found at times when my symptoms broke through the medication and I was in danger of going into a depressive episode that if I increased the Venlafaxine, took time off sick from work and slept/rested then could usually come through it. Then after a few weeks I would take the meds back down. I then found that staying at 300 worked well for me and I've been on that for years until recently when I started to reduce as described in my last post. Hope this helps! Sue
    • Posted

Thanks Sue, think my psychiatrist might be increasing my dose tomorrow.  Glad you're feeling well and able to start reducing.  Take care, Gen
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies, hopefully it'lll be a simple doseage increase that will help me through this. I don't feel as bad as I did last year but I feel I could do if left for too long without some extra help while I'm feeling down. 

I don't want to start changing antidepressants again after the Ven was working so well for me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.