Venlafaxine stopped working??? HELP PLEASE

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am feeling like I can't carry on at the moment.

I have had severe anxiety and depression since giving birth to my daughter 4 years ago and it seems to coincide with my hormones during the month.

Since December 2015 I have had to increase my venlafaxine 5 times.

I was initially on mirtazapine 45mg then venlafaxine was added on for a year at 37.5mg this was great for the first year but now Every few months I am having relapses before my time of the month and the venlafaxine has to be increased by 37.5mg.

I am now up to the top dosage of 225 mg 4 days after increase and top dosage of mirrazapine 45mg and just feel like giving up and that I am running out of options, I am taking 4 different tablets of Ven throughout the day.

The doctor thinks I have PMDD but could it be that the venlafaxine is just not working well enough to mask my major hormone issues which it did successfully for a year.

Any advice please ???

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not sure if this is similar but I think you can suffer for about 3/4 weeks after each increase. I was put up to 187.5 a week ago and feel terrible today. I'm also on 3 X 5mg of Buspar during the day. It's hard but we've to try and get through the first few weeks X

• Posted

Hi Anne

Thank you for replying sorry to hear your feeling awful.

I increased to 187.5mg exactly a month ago and felt grotty for a week then ok now 4 weeks later I am up to 225mg.

Really feel like I can't carry on fighting this anymore as soon as I start to feel a little better it starts again.

I can't even get out of bed at the moment even though I've been awake since 4am.

What is buspar? Is that an anti depressant? I am wondering if there's anything else I can add on to my meds to help me. Xx

• Posted

Buspar (buspirone) is for anxiety as the Ven isn't helping with that yet. I think I'll have to go to 225 but want to increase slowly. I also have ADHD which gives symptoms of depression and anxiety, just wish I knew which was which!

• Posted

Oh it's just so awful isn't it. I know exactly how you feel it's like living in limbo all the time with the not knowing. I just wish there was a magic wand that could get rid of all mental health issues.

Mine is just gradually ruining my life. I have given up two jobs and had to cancel a family holiday this year due to my mental health.

Just feel like I will never get better. I could just sit and cry all day

• Posted

It really is awful, I've been trying to get well for a year and just feel like giving up

• Posted

I'm the same. What is the point in trying to get well when it doesn't work.

There's only so much fight you have in you.

Do you have problems with your sleep?

That's the worst part for me is the not sleeping.

• Posted

No I sleep all night but feel exhausted when I wake up, could be the meds or depression I don't know. Feel in a haze all day

• Posted

I'm in a haze all day too. Hate it I feel so detached from everything. Have you ever levelled out on meds or have you only just started them?

• Posted

I've been on them 23 years but last year my doc had me taper from Ven to Sertraline too fast and I've suffered for a year now, tried every med for the last year and doc says cos I tolerated Ven before I should be ok but I was always tired on it

• Posted

Up to last year I was on it for about 18 years at 150, you don't realise the side effects creep up on you, I thought been tired was part of me. I really didn't want to go back on but te others did nothing. This time round I'm carefully monitoring it and won't tolerate been tired all the time x

• Posted

That's no good. Could it be the buspar making you tired? Or is it def the venlafaxine? X

• Posted

Could be both. Doc keeps asking if I'm exercising lol I haven't the energy, if I'm not working I just lay about or go to bed, only go out if I need to

• Posted

I have quit two jobs over my problems. Have a lively 4 year old that I have to get up for otherwise I would just do nothing.
    • Posted

Mine are in their 20's but I have a mortgage and need to work, it's just a case of getting through each day with no end in sight

• Posted

It's just hell on earth isn't it feeling this way.

I completely feel your pain.

• Posted

It really is, I've gradually isolated myself from friends since my mum died 5 years ago so it's just me and my broken brain 😕 Although today I've dragged myself out of bed and done a bit of gardening

• Posted

Haha. If you went to bed at this time do you feel better the next day? You could always do that on the odd night to make you less tired the next day. X
    • Posted

I lay on my bed knitting but don't go to sleep till about 10, I've actually stayed awake all day today!

• Posted

If only you could give me some of your sleepiness and I'd give you some of my insomnia. I reckon we'd both feel great then 😆 Xx

• Posted

I had that really bad when I stopped the Ven last year, it's so frustrating. I take melatonin some nights to get me off to sleep x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.