Venlafaxine strange experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have suffered from depression since I was 12 had numerous antidepressants over the years which have worked to a certain extent or not worked at all I recently was told by the gp he suspects bipolar type 2 and reffered me for further investigation I was put on 75mg of Venlafaxine and I took my first one about 5:30 by 8 o'clock I started getting agitated anxious my pupils were huge I couldn't keep still I felt like I was on speed I was like this for 4 days no sleep didn't eat full of energy it was brilliant on the 5th day I again got agitated snappy stormed to my bedroom cried myself to sleep slept from 7 till 10 the next day when I woke I couldn't move my whole body ached I slept that whole day I have had an increase 150mg I feel OK on them but I have little energy still low mood at times but it's only been on them 3 weeks how long does it take for them to actually work and has anyone else experienced what I have on them .T.I.A

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hii Linzi,

Sounds like you've had a hard time! I know nothing about bipolar, or Venlafaxine's effectiveness for that disorder (if that is what your suffering from) I don't actually know too much at all other that from my own experience and what I've gleaned from this forum - the only question I can offer some help on is "how long does it take for them to work?" - and then again only from my experience - about 6 - 8 weeks is the answer, I guess. I'm currently on 150mg per day modified release for anxiety and depression, and into the eighth week they finally seem to have started to help - still up and down but the last couple of days a definite, if slight, improvement. My doctor did suggest possibly increasing the dose last time I saw her, but I prefer to go slow and see if the 150mg will be enough - though I know much higher doses aren't uncommon, and last time I had an attack I was on 225mg per day.

Hope this helps, and hang on in there,

Mike

• Posted

Thank you Mike for your reply I'm on the slow release 150mg now started on the 75mg which sent me wild for first 4 days

Now I'm just low and sluggish I just long to be normal again it's gone on forever I'm getting so impatient

I hope you see improvemet real soon I know we just have to hang in there its just so difficult

• Posted

You took them at 5:30 in the afternoon? Extended release?
    • Posted

I saw your response below. Your doctor should have started you on 37.5. It is much easier to adjust over the first week. Further you were bumped up to 150 before adjusting to 75 which will make you feel exhausted. Give it 4 weeks on 150 at least to be able to judge. Meanwhile ask your gp to refer you to a psychiatrist. To be honest your doctor is pushing this too roughly without a psychiatrist confirmed diagnosis. Previous medication messing with various ones and ballsy dosing could produce symptoms that resemble bipolar. You need a second opinion. And a skilled approach in dosing and administration. We do not take venlafaxine slow release after 2 pm. Preferably latest by midday. At the same time each day. If you took yours in pm it explains your initial reaction fully.

• Posted

Yes I picked my prescription up at 5 for the 75mg I had 7 days worth took my first one as soon as I got home about 5:30pm by 8pm started feeling like I had took speed
    • Posted

Yes, got it. My response is being moderated for whatever reason so give it a day or so. Meanwhile never ever take xr later than midday. Never.

• Posted

His I still haven't received you're message could you private message me what it said please thank you

• Posted

In short your GP has started you on 75, which is a little unkind as typically it is better to start at 37.5 for the first few days adjustment at least. Movement to 150mg should be accomplished after the first adjustment to 75mg is done as well. Ask for a referral to a psychiatrist to evaluate your condition and medication or ask for a second opinion. I don't think venlafaxine is the first choice med for bipolar and i do not think that a GP is skilled enough to assess a case like yours when your chemistry has already been tampered with in terms of different other medication. All the best.

• Posted

If u are bipolar rhen it might if set mania off hence the super energy on little sleep. U may been a mood stabiliser
    • Posted

Hiya thanks for reply I've now been referred to the affective disorder team they said I will have a Co ordinator that will work with me to better manage medication and what therapy will be suited for me I don't have a diagnosis they are just working on stabalising my mood x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.