Venlafaxine success

Posted , 9 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I just wanted to post a success story with Venlafaxine as when I was really ill, I searched the Internet for some hope only to be met with bad reviews and experiences. I've been on the drug now for four and a half weeks after six months of terrible, severe depression. (I have never suffered from depression before.) It took a while and week three was bad but gradually I have felt better and better. Five weeks ago I was phoning my friend telling her I was going to end it all and today I dug up a garden, was laughing with friends and am glad to be alive. I hope you have as much success with the drug and sympathise if you are suffering with this awful illness.

4 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to post this Sarah. I agree 100% I also scoured the internet for success stories when I became very ill. Venlafaxine is working well for me although I'm still having some bad days. I was very ill though and ended up in hospital so it's bound to take time. Do you know what caused your depression? What dose are you on? X

• Posted

That's really good to know Sarah. I have been on venlafaxine for a while now but have gone downhill a lot in the last few months. They have upped my dose but not yet feeling the benefit. It's good to hear a success story as I too have only heard bad things about it.

• Posted

It's good to hear success stories. I think it can be very lonely and very frightening when suffering from depression etc. I also searched the Internet prior to starting venlafaxine, and some stories put me off big time. But like you, I bit the pullet and started. So glad I did. It has changed my life.

Good on you for posting your success story.

I'm so happy your feeling better and as I found venlaxifine works slowly and it just gets better and better. ?.

• Posted

Good to hear this med is working for some ppl. I just restarted taking it after 2 yrs if trying Bupropion and Celexa. The last was horrible!!! I was initially on V for 7 yrs and then one day it just seemed to quit working. I must admit that I was very ignorant to medications involving mental health. My new Doc put me on V and my dose is 37.5 mg's!!!!! I beleive its the lowest. I also exercise a lot which seems to be helping. I also gave good and bad days. Seems I'm good for 3 or 4 days then I feel crappy for awhile. I've only been back on it for 8 weeks but I'm hoping that it fully kicks in soon. Have a great day and keep the chin up!!!!!

• Posted

My experience was much like yours. I was diagnosed with treatment resistant major depression disorder in July 2015. I had never suffered with clinical depression before either. I have taken venlafaxine and mirtazapine for nearly two years now and I feel great too. Anyone suffering with depression needs to know that there really is hope.
  • Posted

I, too had success was on Venlaraxine for two and a half years My depression was brought about by life events and grave shortage of Vitamin D I have remained well since and actually reduced my drug to half over one month when I felt I was ready then stopped altogether Well done Sarah!
  • Posted

Thankyou Sarah I am on week 3 and half had two good days now bad day yuk so having your positive statement gives me hope I am on 75mg now was on 37.5 for two weeks due to see doc on Tuesday .i am also on 30 mg of mirtazapine at night Thankyou again xx
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, what dose are you on? Did you start on 37.5 or 75mg?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.