Venlafaxine to??

Posted , 3 users are following.

am in process of switching from venlafaxine..will be on 75mg tomorrow currently on 150mg..see doc on Friday going on to 37.5 mg..then think she wants to put me on mirtazapine!?.. Been on venlafaxine for 4 years fine, then got stressed before Xmas had a virus wham!! Back it came...been reading on here about mirt and thinking do I ..or try something else..

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think it's a fantastic anti depressant. I have tried several and this one really suits me. It has also helped with a number of physical ailments such as migraine, IBS, allergies (itching), and nausea. Only downside is that it often makes people put on weight. I needed this to begin with but then it got too much and I am currently dieting to lose the extra stone. So far it's coming off just fine.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply evergreen..I,m a 58 year old female..were you on it for depression/ anxiety same as me..also have you been on it for awhile..were you long in feeling a difference..
    • Posted

Hi Cathy, I am 52 and have been on it for 3 years for depression. The other beneficial effects were just a bonus for me. I felt a difference in my depression very quickly compared with other drugs I have tried. I think it was around a week that I felt suddenly a lot happier. They do knock you out though for the first 10 days or so, even when taken at night. They make you feel like you are in a daze. But this quickly gets better.
  • Posted

Hi Cathy , I had major breakdown 14yrs ago, been on venlafaxine since. I seem to leveled out but last yr I was going to a weight clinic that my gp sent me to. I do need to lose a bit of weight but I couldn't shift it.during that time we had to fill out questionnaires , I was having a difficult time. The therapist recommended that I had done counseling which I'm still waiting for an appointment.. And they also said that cause I had been on venlafaxine for such a long period that it probably want doing anything any more.

So I decided to come off venlafaxine and try something else. I was on 150mg a day then reduced to 75mg a day.

At first I was fine then after few weeks I was getting the self harming thoughts ,I was worried so went to go. She put me on mertazapine 15mg and 37.5mg venlafaxine. This was three weeks ago. I've been sleeping that's great but the amount of side effects have been terrible , stomach pain,diarrhea,bloating, muscle pain, breathless feel like I've run a marathon when doing the most basic things.eating more especially at night and sugary foods.

This passed week I've been trying to come off the venlafaxine altogether but the withdrawal are so bad possibly because I've been on a long time, the brain flashes content ringing in ears, irritable, angry,flu symptoms.I was in a mess, do spoken to gp this morning I'm coming off the mertazapine do not taking one tonight. And put back on venlafaxine 35.7 which I took this morning within hrs all my withdrawal symptoms had practically gone. Other people on here have had no problems with mertazapine but I'm sure it's just trial and error to find what works for you. I didn't get any info in my medication so didn't know much off the side effects I had to check it out myself. And coming on this site as helped with understanding. I do hope you get the right meds and they work for you.

• Posted

Hi Cathy, Im on 30mgs mirtazipine per night, for anxiety and depression. It works well for me, no weight gain, no side effects. I have taking it for 3 years or so, previously i took Prozac for 10+years. I have been told that mirtazipine is less toxic than venlafaxine as it is a newer drug. If it doesn't work for you I guess you can return to venlafaxine? Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.