Venlafaxine to Sertraline

Posted , 7 users are following.

advice needed I have come down from 225 venlafaxine over the past 6 months to a couple of days ago got to 37.5 Venlafaxine and started tapering with 25 mg Sertraline yesterday I cried most of the day and feel so emotional how soon can I stop the V and up the Sertraline as I don't thing the 37.5 is doing anything and would like to up the Sertraline. 

Thank you,

Bee. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The sertraline will take a while to kick in and you are down to a very low dose of ven which is not enough to have any effect on you so it's almost like you are not taking anything at the moment and also you are going through withdrawals from the ven and that why you feel so bad. I know all this as I went through the same thing recently but the differents was that I couldn't tolerate the sertraline so won't take it now. I'm not taking anything at all now and to be honest I feel better for it. I was on antidepressants for 32 years and nothing really ever worked so got to the point now where I'm going to deal with it in more natural ways like exercise healthy diet and supplements as there is no Point carrying on with meds that just don't work. We all different and some of us respond well to meds but I'm just one of those people that don't. If you responded well in the past to meds then I'm sure you will be ok with sertraline but it does take a while to feel any benifefits so hang on in there I know it tough right now but as each day passes things should get better for you
  • Posted

Hi Bee - I so sympathise with your predicament right now.  I recently went through a bad few weeks due to being given a different make of venlafaxine which, despite what the pharmacist said, were not the same and resulted in me being emotional, weepy and feeling that life wasn't worth the bother.  Happily, I'm now back on my regular meds and getting back to 'normal' and am also seeing a CBT therapist which is looking hopeful.  Anyhow, in answer to your question, I think you should return to your GP and ask their advice - it seems to me that maybe you've had your venlafaxine decreased too much over too short a period of time.  Please go back to your GP and tell them how you're feeling - I hope, like me, you're lucky and have a sympathetic one who will be only too willing to help you.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Bee

I have recently come off Venlafaxine (I did it very slowly and it was the hardest few months of my life) I couldn't cope so was put on a low dose of sertraline. My only advice is to stay strong. For some reason it takes a really long time to get the venlafaxine out your system and the side effects are hideous. It does get better I promise, just don't expect any instant results. It took me about 6 months to feel better. Surround yourself with people you love and tell people what you are going through so that they understand (sort of!) what you are going through. Stay strong and believe that things will get better soon xxx

• Posted

It took me 10 months to withdraw from Venlafaxine so I did not get any bad withdrawals, and I was fine.  That was over a year ago.  Now you are down to 37.5 you need to cut up generic pills into smaller and smaller doses.  Take 3/4 tablet for weeks, then 1/2 for weeks, then 1/4 for weeks, until you are taking a tiny amount on your finger tip.  That was as you do it so gradually you will not get any withdrawals.  It worked for me. 

difficult, I should imagine, being on two anti depressants at the same time.  Not easy on your body.  Try reducing the Venlafaxine a lot more before you take the Sertraline.  You are experiencing withdrawals, and I think it is because you are not tapering theVenlafaxine slowly enough.

• Posted

I have been reducing for 6 months and can't bear to take V much longer. As Michael said in earlier post 37.5 V is almost nothing. I am back with my doctor on Wednesday and hoping to stop V then and up the Sertraline to 50 and then 100. I am crying constantly and feel so vunerable. 
    • Posted

Not true that 37.5mg is almost nothing.  It is still quite a dose to withdraw from.  Dont just stop when you get to 37.5mg as you will still get withdrawals.  you need to taper down from 37.5mg a little at a time.  It does work because I have done it with no withdrawals at all.  Like I said above, cut up tablets into smaller and smaller doses.  Keep tapering down from the Venlafaxine before you go up with the Sertraline.

You experiencing both depression and withdrawals from the Venlafaxine and that is a lot for your body to cope with.  I know you feel that you cannot take the Venlafaxine any longer, but if you don't mind the withdrawals then it is up to you.  I can understsand how you feel.  I have been on both Sertraline and Venlafaxine. 

I am so sorry you are feeling so rough.

• Posted

hi bee,

im due to start the same process and wondering how you are doing now?

not sure if you take any supplements but omega 3s and magnesuim have helped me reduce from 75mg to 37.5mg.

i also have green smoothies every morning and change of diet has helped me too. i think nourished body and nourished mind.

i also seen that some one posted they say to themselves 'mind help me be positive today'

hope this info can be of help.

look forward to hearing how your getting on and any advice you think may be able to help me.

kayleigh

• Posted

Hi Kayleigh 

I am feeling awful but I will go with the feeling. I was on 225 mg Ven for over 3 years after going through a huge life trauma. I have been like a zombie most of the time with no emotions. I have also been on several other AD for 20 years  trying many times to come off without success. This time I am going to really try to get all this chemical sh*t out of my body.  I started the cut down 6 months ago and started 37.5 a week ago cross tapering with 25 mg Sertraline. However today I have decided to stop both and give myself a month with nothing and just hope for the best.i am 62 and not working so at least I am at home.  The worse side effects are the dizziness and nausea, I have had 3 awful days in past week. Yesterday I was in bed from 2 pm until this morning just not able to move my head. 

i also had Breast cancer 2 years ago and since then I try to keep my body alkaline so juice half a litre of greens everyday also as I found out Cancer dies in an alkaline body so this is something I will do for the rest of my life I test myself regularly with ph strips. I also take lots of vitamins and drink a lot of water. When I am feeling ok I walk my dog for 40 minutes and try to exercise most days at home when I am not feeling dizzy etc.

i really hope this time I can do it but if the worse comes to the worse I guess I will start Sertraline again in month or 2. 

Warm wishes,

Bee 

• Posted

Have you tried acupuncture or any other type of holistic therapy?

Are you completely off meds now? I think your best to half your 37.5 for a month before coming off altogether. I know how desperate you get to have it out of your body but slow and steady wins the race.

I started reading a mindfulness book peace in a frantic world. Seems to have had a positive effect on many people. Maybe you could try that too.

• Posted

Take travel sickness meds to help with the withdrawls, i did and helped totally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.