Venlafaxine weightgain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed that they've increased weight on venlafaxine? I've also noticed i'm a lot more agressive on this.

This is now my 3rd Anti Depressant, i've found that its hard now to differentiate between what i'm like, and what I used to be like before I started taking them.

Does anyone else feel the same?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi James, I am now off venlafaxine only 5 weeks but had been on for 17yrs and yes it does seem to make you gain weight, before thaking them i used to be about 84kilos and gained another 8, so you are right in that fact.

Having come off it is easier to differentiate between venlafaxine and other antidepressants.  Venlafaxine seems to after a course of time create a kind of fog with your feelings, a dumbing down effect so to say.  I wonder how long have you been on vf now?  Plus the fact you feel more agressive on vf may mean they are not suitable for you.

• Posted

I became more - not agressive as such, but more intolerant after I came off.

I saw what I needed to do at work after the big VF 'sleep' when I didn't really decide anything and I would get really p'd off when someone blocked me. even someone walking in front of me is worse than before.

I'm @4monts off VF so I may still be "re-calibrating" my feelings.

James, to have agressiveness at the onset is not good..

It DOES take time (months) to have an effect, maybe like me you are frustrated that it didn't seem to havean immediate effect, or even feel as if you are affected..Think slowly immersing yourself in a bath. then going under water. When I came off VF I felt as if I had stuck my hgead out into the air again, but i didn't feel as if I had gone under.

and if you are stopping one thing and starting another, you may be cross-polinating the meds perhaps?

oLast, VF makes you take risks. if being angry is a risk for you, then perhaps it is exaserbating this. HTH. smile

• Posted

I couldn't have put that better froggy VF sleep it is, and when you finally start to emerge oooooooo it feels raw and I am only just about on my 6th week off,l its like you forgot how to feel and how to react, but it is good to be out of the VF fog, same as you am still re-calibrating my feelings and I think thats gonna take some time.  All the best
  • Posted

YEP!

I was 55kg and went to 70kg.

I'm now around 65kg even after I came off VF.

• Posted

Hi - thanks for the comments so far! I've been on it now for 2 years but starting to learn / worry about how the tablet is effecting me.

I've sort of forgotten what its like to feel normal. I've now made the decision to get myself back on track with exercise etc and feel better!

I think froggy put it better, i'm definatly more intollerant towards others. I used to be more patient. I've found as well, that i'm not as focused as I used to be.

Dont know if anyone is the same...

• Posted

Yup huge weight gain on Venlafaxine, and many people have reported weight gain on this anti depressant. 

Unlike you I was not agressive at all,m quite the opposite in fact.  But we get different side effects, what one person gets, another probably wont.  I have been on many different anti depressants in the 20 years I have had depression, and had some very strange side effects.  One did make me agressive, and it was very scary, so I came off that one. 

We change when we have depression.

• Posted

Hi James,

I've put on weight from being on mitazapam but not venlafaxine, but that could be a side affect as well as the aggression, you should talk to your doctor.

Em

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.