Venlafaxine - When will it work?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've posted recently but am feeling rather desperate.  I've been on venlafaxine for over a month.  The last 9 days on 225mg and prior to that 150mg for 10 days so nearly three weeks at a high dose.  I'm not seeing any improvement at all.  Should I have seen anything yet?  I also take 30mg Mirtazapine n the evening.  I'm scared this won't work and then I don't know what I'll do next.  I know there are lots of medications but venlafaxine is known to work where others haven't - so frightened that I'm not going to get better.  Please help.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I now have been on venlafaxine 150mgmg for16 weeks. I was put on mirtazapine 15mg 4 weeks ago to try and help me sleep.

I have been able to get only 2 hours sleep.

I have noticed that I am very anxious during the day. It has been that bad during the last few days that I feel that I need someone to pull me off the ceiling.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to reduce my anxiety. Tried music and mindfulness as most days I am at work.

• Posted

Hi Yvonne, is the Mirtazapine helping with your sleep?  And how are you feeling with regards to your depression?

Sorry to hear that your anxiety is bad.  When mine is like that the only thing that helps is distraction, speaking to someone, reading etc.  I read a book recently about a man who'd suffered for many years and his philosophy was you have to just accept the anxiety and once you truly do that it will get better, easier said than done I know but it did make sense.

I've now been on mirtazapine for over three months and venlafaxine for about 8 weeks, the last 4 at 225mg.  My mood has improved only slightly but I feel like it has gotten worse again the last few days.

It's good that you're able to work.  xxx

• Posted

Before the mirtazapine I was not sleeping at all. Now getting a couple of hours.

I was feeling better the first few weeks but now it is even worse.

Work is not helping.

I just want to get a good sleep anf not feel like I have ants in my pants.

• Posted

Are you under a doctor or psychiatrist?

have you always been a good sleeper prior to becoming unwell?

• Posted

Before I was unwell I would sleep for 7 hours a night.

I am seeing a psychiatrist.

• Posted

It must be awful for you to have gone from being a good sleeper to being sleep deprived.  I went through 4 months of little sleep even with the use of Zoplicone and Diazepam and it was hell.

When I started on the mirtazapine it improved but I think that was because it helped the anxiety.  Don't get me wrong, it's not brilliant but it is better.

When are you seeing your psychiatrist next? And how long have you been poorly? x

• Posted

I have been on medication for 2 years.

I am supposed to see him on Tuesday but I am going to a&e tonight as I cannot cope any longer and have taken overdose.

• Posted

Oh Yvonne, I am so sorry.  Please make sure you do go to A&E.  Is there a friend or family member you can phone.  Please post back on here that you're ok.  Samaritans are 08547 909090
    • Posted

I made it to hospital.

Unfortunately I am still here.

I just wish that they could sort out my medication so that I could see a future for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.