venlafaxine with mirtrazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i've seen some place that people have been prescribed these two drugs as a combination, has anyone her tried them together and how did they got on with them? Why did you get prescribed them together and Can GP prescribe them together?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi i use a combination on sertraline and mirtz, work well together i should think you would be fine but do ask gp
    • Posted

Can you gp  prescribe it or is it only psychologist that can? 
  • Posted

I've been on a combination of venlafaxine and mirtazapine for several years and it's worked very well for me. I was up to 225mg per day venlafaxine and still having problems, but when my psychiatrist added 15mg mirtazapine I soon felt the benefit. He later increased the mirtazapine to 30mg, and I've been stable  and well since then. So I can recommend the combination but everyone is different and you need to try it to find out if it works for you. I have recently been getting more thirsty and weeing a lot, but after tests for diabetes which came back as normal, I've been told it could be a side effect of the medications but it's no big problem, I've just got used to it.
    • Posted

what were mean reasons you were prescribed them together?
    • Posted

Depression and anxiety.Venlafaxine alone was helping a bit but not enough so psychiatrist added mirtazapine. I'm not sure if GPs can prescribe combination, you'd have to ask. At the time it was a new idea to my GP, she hadn't come across it before, but it might be more known now. Some pharmacists still query the fact that I'm taking 2 different antidepressants and I have to explain. I hope you can find a treatment to suit you.
    • Posted

Thanks for info, very interesting hearing other experiences 
  • Posted

I'm just coming off 45mg Mirtazapine which I had a really bad reaction to and has made my mood extremely low ( if you know what I mean ).  I am now on venlafaxine 27.5 twice a day and praying it works.

I am awaiting counselling and CBT but the system I think is oversubscribed. I have had my first initial phone appointment to find out what it is I need but all sillent since.

• Posted

27.5mg twice day is very very low dose of venlafaxine so that gives your room for movment up if needed
  • Posted

Thanks for you email, I was really hoping to get off anti depressants but with my recent blip, I feel a little beaten. Un helped by loads of other things. On he up side I have a counselling date now as GP has pushed this for me. I have been ok since March this year. I had my driving test next week and I have now put this off until January :0(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.