Venlafaxine withdrawal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

How long would you need to take 75mg of venlafaxine for before you would start to suffer withdrawals if you quit taking it? I have been taking 37.5mg of venlafaxine for 5 days now. My docotor told me to take one 37.5mg capsule for one week and then take 2 a day after that. But I have noticed some sexual side effects on the 37.5mg and I would imagine it would get worse on 75mg? I really feel like I need to keep taking this medication to see if my anxiety and depression improves but I also do not want these sexual side effects. Do these side effects go away the longer you take the medication? I was thinking about taking the 75mg of venlafaxine for at least a month to see if these side effects go away? But I am worried that if they do not go away and I decide to stop taking the venlafaxine after a month I will experience withdrawal symptoms? Please could really use some help and advice.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What side effects are you actually getting? It's hard to offer advise without knowing what you are going through and offer insight and experience?

• Posted

I am getting a constant dry mouth and sore throat. I am feeling more tired than usual. But the main side effects that are concerning me that I was to go away are the sexual side effects. Finding it much more difficult to maintain an erection and ejaculate. This is happening and I am only on 37.5mg. I am supposed to be going up to 75mg in the next few days. I would be happy to keep taking this drug as long as I knew these side effects go away the longer I am on it.
    • Posted

Hi William

Ok so this may not be at all related to you but when I started on 37.5mg I had side effects such as dilated pupils, increased anxiety, dry mouth and the weirdest one was urine hesitancy (sorry if tmi) it took ages for me to go to the toilet and I was getting anxious about it. The doctor told me it would pass and two weeks later I was normal again.

I know I am a woman and it could be completely different but initially starting this does cause some weird side effects. I think as it slows you down it slows everything else down. The more anxious I got about it the worse it was as well. I convinced myself of all sorts but the doc told me to stick with it.

I increased to 75mg and had the same side effects for the first 2 days then again they just disappeared.

I am now up to 225mg and any increases since the 75mg mark have never had the side effects again.

I would def stick with it for a couple of weeks and try to relax about it it could be your getting more anxious about it too which won't be helping. Once you feel a bit calmer and back to yoursef if your still having the same issues Maybe your doc could switch you onto something else if you are worried about withdrawals

• Posted

I too had the same issues when I started taking these last year, like the rest of the side effects , it slowly went away after a couple of weeks, just had my dosage increased from 75 to 150 mg so far no side effects from the increase , hopefully there won't be

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.