Venlafaxine withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. New to this so, hi! Back in 2007 I was prescribed 75mg of venlafaxine for anxiety and stress. Those episodes of stress have been removed vastly and in some cases so has the anxiety so in February 2014 I took the plunge to come off this drug. First of all I came down from 75mg to 37.5mg + 1 half of 37.5mg. Then 37.5mg then to 3/4 of 37.5mg to half of 37.5 then a quarter and finally half of 1 quarter. My last tablet was last Friday and now, writing this I am 1 week in to full withdrawal. Irrespectable of the low end dose I am still getting hideous side effects. I feel drunk all of the time, loss of memory, disattached from reality, anxiety, fear, panic, restlessness to name but a few. My question to anyone who's withdrawn, is how long did the side effects last? The doc said I was probably over the worst but said I wouldn't feel right for another 3-4 weeks. There seems to be a pattern of 1 good day, 1 bad at the moment. I'm scared that I am going to go through a difficult month only to find out that I can't survive without medication and relapse. Has anyone ever come off the same dose and what was your experiences. Any feedback would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please help me! I'm from the states but, trust the UK far more, are country is in a moral meltdown. If you wish I'll talk on this also. On this other issue : I can't take the withdrawal from the drug, which, of course, my doctor told me nothing of the withdrawals. I'm in such a bad way. Yelled at Mt 12 year old like never before- through in some issues with my wife that now lives by herself in a $ 2300 a month apt, and having a ball going on cruises, European vacation, Vegas twice, three plastic surgeries - this is all within this past year. She left me for one reason: my action or lack of actions do to Effexor - I kid you not , this drug changes you body mind and soul' for the worse. I can't take it anymore, the withdrawals and emotional breakdown of my life. Drugs are making this all so much wprse, I don't know what is from me, from the effects of drugs or the lack of, and what is the biggest issue of all- I can't feel the presence of our great God, its like he left me, removed me from his grace. I cry at will. I'm lost and don't want to go on, why should I? What do I have ? Thank you Effexor and my doctor that gives without any explanation of things to come. Please help me my brothers and sisters, please. Chris 2532236655
    • Posted

Hello Chris I live in the UK in the south of England on the coast.  Thank you for saying you trust people who live here. 

It is 17 months since I stopped Effexor and I am doing really well.  You on the other hand are not, but I don't understasnd why.  I suppose it is just that the withdrwal affects people differently.

I am am a little old lady and am not a strong person, so it surprises me that I have managed the withdrwal so well and you have not.  No logic to that.  The Effexor took away depression and anxiety, and apart from indigestion and heartburn and weight gain I did well on it. 

The medication did not change my body or mind, and I have been on different anti depressants for nearly 30 years.  Obviously it has affected you very badly, and I am so sorry. 

I am sorry your marriage broke up over this.  I have been alone after a divorce for 30 years and have more or less had depression/anxiety all that time.  I have battled and battled, and am still here and determined to make the best of the life left to me. 

Don't you think that your symptoms are a sign of depression?  It does sound to me like you are depressed.  A lot has happened in your life, so it could well have brought on depression.  There are lots of medication out there that will not have the effect Venlafaxine  has had on you.  Think whether you may have depression and need help to cope with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.