Venlafaxine withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Venlafaxine for approx 15 years and I've decided enough is enough! I have been on diet after diet and instead of losing its still creeping on! I've tried every diet under the sun, recently stopped all sugar and instead of losing I've gained, so it's got to be Venlafaxine, it's messed up my metabolism!!

By how much should I reduce? I'm on 2x 75mg per night! 

I know I'm going to get the head zaps etc but is there anything I could take to help with withdrawal! 

Please could anyone help and advise? I just want my life back! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kate

I don't know about withdrawing from venlafaxine as I have been on it for 6 months. I have a question for you about it, did you feel okay in the morning on it?

I know you have to be slow in tapering off venlafaxine and follow your doctor's advice.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Kate

I forgot to ask what side effects did you get from venlafaxine did you get and would you recommend it?

• Posted

Hi Louise, at the time I was prescribed, I was in quite a sorry state, very very depressed, anxious, agrophobic, panic attacks and was very dependent on Valium! They actually gave me my life back and set me free of Valium! That was 20 years ago, and now I feel I want to try and live without it as I'm struggling to lose the excess weight I've gained! 

As to your question about how I feel in the mornings, all I can say is I'm always tired when I wake up and I never feel I've had enough! 

I hope you start to feel better soon and don't hesitate to ask me any further questions! 

Good Luck on your journey! 

• Posted

Hi Kate

Did you feel a bit numb on the venlafaxine and no motivation?

Thanks for answering my questions x

• Posted

Do it gradually 75mg for one month a night then halve that for a month if there is a lower dose then stop. It is easier to stop off the lowest dose but it will be a week after stopping you will be clear of side effects
  • Posted

Have been on venlafaxine 300mg for over 10 years, have been on a 15 week tapering programme, reduce by 37.5 every other week, say for instance last week I took 150mg one day then 112.5mg the next day alternating all week, this week I take 112.5mg all week, then reduce to alternate days again next week.

Have come down from 300mg to 112.5mg by doing this as advised by my psychiatrist, so far I havent felt any physical withdrawal symptoms just heightened anxiety, hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.