Venlafaxine withdrawal help needed!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

I've been on venlafaxine for well over 10 years and as its not having any affect anymore my psychiatrist is switching me to vortioxetine.

I've been on 225mg for the whole of my treatment. 4 weeks ago I managed to reduce to 150mg - the brain zaps lasted about 5 days, but my anxiety has massively increased and I'm crying all the time.

I tried dropping to 75mg but the brain zaps were worse, I was having night sweats, nausea and severe vertigo, along with serious drop in mood. So I'm back up to 150mg.

A few questions:

1. My psychiatrist told me to drop to 150mg for one week, then drop to 75mg for one week, then drop to 37.5mg while adding in the vortioxetine, then after 1 week cut the venlafaxine out and up the vortioxetine dose.

How can I taper off that quickly after 10 years?

1. Is it safe to be on the 2 meds at the same time?

2. How long do the withdrawal affects last?

3. Has anyone not been able to ever come off this drug?

Thank you x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh no I would never ever drop that amount . I've learnt my lesson my doctor suggested I do that when he was taking me off mitrazapine and I ended up in a terrible state and didnt understand what was wrong. i became very ill never slept or ate anxious ness through the roof. I would only ever do very small decreases over a long period.

• Posted

Ooops! typing error! i am to reduce by 75mg a week .... not a day! sorry. though i know thats still very quick. i follow facebook groups about reducing venlafaxine and know about slow reduction. but that scares me as I will need an antidepressant to help with the depression. so i keep having the thought of just going for the quick reduction and suffering being practically bedbound so that i can then start on another medication.

Gemhen ... i know people use Fluoxetine to help while weaning off Venlafaxine xx

• Posted

Hiya, even 75mg a week is ridiculous! Sorry but I've been through hell with Venlafaxine and I'm not afraid of saying so now! Best for you to seek more advice about reducing even if you have been prescribed other meds.. I really don't trust venlafaxine ..one bit.. I can't seem to sleep and I'm too afraid to reduce my dose any further.. as I am depressed!! But don't want any more medication.. Just seems to make things worse for me.. hope you get better soon..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.