Venlafaxine withdrawal serious problem

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello!

I've been on venlafaxine for about 2 years, taking a dose of 150mg per day. I used to take the generic pills which are cheaper. To be honest I didn't even know there was an 'original' one, named Effexor, until last friday.

When I changed town I continued the treatment with another doctor, and he suggested i came off the drug. I thought I'd try, and for the first month I reduced from 150mg to 75mg. Nothing wrong there. Then I took another step and reduced from 75 to 37,5mg and in the fourth day I collapsed.

I had this breakdown, feeling all kind of weird symptoms: dizzyness, dry mouth, excess sleepness, confusion, mental oblivions (memory lapses), total apathy, total loss of libido. 

I got really scared and tried to go back on my own since I was off town and couldnt talk to the doctor.

I took for 3 days the 150 mg pills but that didnt help. I consulted another doctor and he suggested to take a 107,5 mg dose (75+37,5) for 20 days and then restore the original 150 mg dose afterwards.

It's been 6 days since I started taking this dose and I still feel awful! I feel like I'm not the same anymore!!! It's the strangest thing ever. I had to ask for a job-absent license cause I can't work in these conditions.

One other thing is that a moved from the generic pills to the Effexor (from Pfizer - Wyeth) - the doc suggested that - and I don't know if that is making things worse...

I feel really akward, useless, like my brain is in slow motion. I've been thinking about goin' cold turkey since taking back venlafaxine didnt help.

I appreciate any messages. Sorry for the english, I'm Brazilian and the head also feels awful.

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am in the UK.  Been on 75mg for about a year.  Last week half the dose and this week 25mg sertraline and as of yesterday evening I am in a mess sad dizziness sicky feeling, headache fuzzy and brain zapping making me feel awful and I have stuff to do 
    • Posted

Hold on there Lostliz, you`re gonna feel better sooner than expected
    • Posted

Hope the horrible feelings pass Liz. You are doing well. Try and make time for you (which is easier said than done as well I know....) & keep cosy on this cold night. Take care.
    • Posted

Hey there.  I do hope the Sertraline makes you feel better soon.  Your body will suffere withdrawals from the other medication, and has to get used to the new one, so you may feel poorly for a little while yet.

Hopefully you will soon be able to tell us you are feeling a whole lot better.

Take care, and keep us informed how you are.

• Posted

I agree with the body feeling bad for awhile and just riding out the storm.  It isn't easy but then we all have this site to help each other.
  • Posted

I am using paracetamol and iboprufen to deal with the fuzzy issues as my head feels heavy, fuzzy and foggy.  That seems to help a bit I just want it to get better so I can function
    • Posted

I too used the iboprufen and it did help although anything was appreciated when you feel like that.
  • Posted

Also...i sometimes feel really sick/nausious...i take a travel sickness pill and that can help.
  • Posted

Been to see a nicer more understanding doctor today and it turns out i should have been advised to cross taper (i was asking) and stop the venlafaxine slower and start the other slower so yes to everyone who said i should have done this over a longer period but I listened to the doctor, silly me, oh by listening to this one am i being sillier?  I dont think so as this one said things that make more sense.  anyway she gave me co-cocodamol and anti sickness tablets and advised me to eat little and often today
  • Posted

An update Fromthe very desperate me...... Been feeling better hour by hour today have a new GP due to this being the second time in 4 years my old GP has put me in a bad place. On the whole it's goodbye to venlafaxine for good.

for anyone wanting advice.... Get anti sickness medicine, take loratadine, paracetamol and iboprofen for headaches and cocodamol to help head pain and sleep x 

• Posted

It s 17 months since I stopped Venlafaxine.  Doing quite well.  Iam glad you are feeling better.  I never want to go backj on either.  Hope things will be back to "normal" for you soon.  Well done.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Anne I am feeling normal today. Staying on the half dose of sertraline till I meet my new doctors next week hopefully 
    • Posted

Oh gosh my typing is so bad.  Glad you are feeling better.  Good news. 

Hope you find the new doctor helpful.  I take lots of supplements and hope I never have to go back onto anti depressants.  If went back on Venlafaxine would have to stay on it as I could not go through all those months of withdrawal again.

Take care

• Posted

hi,why take loratadine ?what does it help with?
  • Posted

I been 4 months off n get still what your discribing..dont feel human at all.. all over the play an try to b a mum to 2 boys very hard..kerp intouch if u find anythink that helps..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.