Venlafaxine Withdrawal Side Effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on Venlafaxine for about 4 years. At first it was 150s - one 75 pill in the morning and one 75 in the afternoon. Since then the dose has been gradually increased to 300. The chemist I use couldn't get 150s so I had to take two 75s in the morning and two 75s in the afternoon. They only recently were able to get in 150s so I could take one in the morning and one in the evening but they were Extended Release and gave me some mild side effects.

So My doctor is awful for putting pills on repeat prescription and last week the chemist got mine mixed up - so no pills. Thankfully I had a few of the 75s put aside for emergenices. 

I had to half my dose from 300 to 150 to make them last. The side effects haven't been bad and I've actually been feeling better on the lower dose.

However.

If I can't get the chemist to be useful tomorrow I will have none left, and I know complete withdrawal is a nightmare. I get horrible side effects:

Brain fog

Brain zaps

Sleep paralysis

Nightmares

Headaches

Anxiety

Night sweats

Panic attacks

Just sometimes not knowing what's going on around me

Can the chemist 'loan' me medication until the repreat prescription is sorted out? I can barely function without the meds and it's so frustrating!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Are you in the UK?

I recently forgot to order a repeat prescription for mine and rushed into the chemist in an absolute panic the morning we were due to go on holiday. They knew my meds were on repeat and were happy to give me an emergency supply for the week.

I guess it depends on the chemist though...

Good luck x

• Posted

Are you in the UK.? Most chemists will help. Also did you stress to the GP surgery that you had insufficient to last? My GP surgery would have got the prescription ready the same day if needed.
  • Posted

Yes the side-effects can be nasty I had the "brain zaps" for about three weeks when I was withdrawing! I think your Gp/pharmacy is being very unhelpful All it needs from the pharmacy is a call or an E-mail to get verification that you are on a drug programme. all the best Iula

• Posted

Ugh, I feel you. When I'm in venlafaxine withdrawal I get the brain zaps, I'm super anxious, my joints and head ache, and I'm super nauseous.

I'm SO surprised to see you also get sleep paralysis from withdrawal- I haven't been able to find anyone else with the problem so I'm happy it's not just me! 

One time I thought I was going to run out because my doctor doesn't do automatic refills, I have to see him to get more and he was booked until 3 days after I would run out and I panicked. After much fuss, I was able to get him to write a prescription for 3 days of pills. (I take extended release so it's only once a day and at that point I was only on 150 I think- I'm up to 225mg now.)

I'm in the US so it's probably different over here. I would tell the pharmacy that THEY are the ones that messed up, not you, so they should give you something since you're going to get very sick. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.