Venlafaxine withdrawal symptoms after 4 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was on 37.5mg for over 3 months. I had missed a couple of doses and got a lot of tingling. I was also getting hives. I went to the GP and he advised I stop taking it. He said there was no lower dose so I could just stop.

I did get horrible withdrawal symptoms, vertigo, general sick feeling (felt like I had the flu without a fever), loose stools, shivering, sweating. This has all settled a bit. I still get some dizziness and nausea but it's not as bad. What I also had, and still have, is muscle pain/cramp/stiffness, tingling and burning. Mainly in the legs though my shoulders are sore as well. This has also settled a bit, there were days when it was very bad and I seriously thought I had some kind of neurological disease.

I have been off this for 4 weeks now and I'm wondering did anyone else experience this and if so how long it lasted for? I have been to the GP 3 times and he has done bloods and some neurological tests and says it's withdrawal and I'll be fine in a couple of weeks. I need some positivity as I'm finding the whole process difficult and to be honest this tingling pain and burning sensation is making me anxious....which defeats the purpose of taking the tablets in the first place!  Hopefully someone has some feedback smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I found taking a high dose of omega-3 helped with withdrawal symptoms.
    • Posted

Hi, yes I've been taking omega 3 and I'm also taking a multi vitamin that contains b complex. I do find they have helped. I'm also trying to exercise alot, going for long walks and I like doing qi gong. This med just did not agree with me. Even though the dose and duration was very low and short. I would have thought that when the dizziness and sweating etc all settled that the tingling and burning would but maybe that just takes a while longer. I also think GP's don't fully understand the consequences of taking these drugs.

• Posted

Hi Ann, I weaned off in August to go on Lexapro that didn't work. Back on Effexor XR 75. It took me two months to wean though. And yes, if I ever was late by an hour or two, I felt tingles and dizziness. That was the start of withdrawal.

I did one pill every other day, for two weeks, then every two days for another two weeks, etc. Sometimes I needed to take a half dose in between because the"brain zaps" we're to much to take. I did have your symptoms as well, so yes, I think it's all normal. If you were taking it for depression and anxiety, you may be feeling some of that tenseness coming back since you've weaned off. I felt it in my shoulders and neck. I drank a lot of water and juice, tea, I don't know why, but that seemed to help. Walking also helped me with those symptoms of withdrawal too.

But why did you wear off? If you were feeling good on it, you may want to think restarting. I know for myself, I couldn't function in an anxiety state. Horrible way to live.

I let know how you're doing!!!! God bless you!

• Posted

Hi Tammy, I came off it because I didn't feel well on it. I can't quite explain it but I didn't feel right and also when I was late with a dose I was getting bad dizziness. It was my GP initially mentioned coming off it. It was such a low dose that I think he felt it wasn't even doing anything for me.

I went on it for anxiety (which I've had since I was 12) but for me over the last 26 years good remedies have been counselling, CBT and exercise so I'm back to all that again. I wouldn't try another anti depressant again as I'd be afraid to. I don't want to go through this again.

I do feel like my anxiety is quite high. The withdrawal effects from the Effexor don't help as the leg pains are not pleasant. I'm hoping the CBT will help get me through it.

It's good to hear you had similar symptoms and they all settled. It's hard to find positive stories on the internet, lots of horror side effects but people don't seem to say that they got better smile

I hope you're doing well now smile

• Posted

I'm glad you're doing well. Anxiety isn't something we can cure, but we can definitely manage it! I do feel better every day. And everyone is different.... some medicines work for others and sometimes not! There is no"magic" pill. They help, but there has to be lifestyle changes as well. I exercise, I haven't had chocolate or sugar or caffeine since August ??. Coffee smells so good!!! It's just not worth it. I pray a lot, go to church regularly, journal, and see a therapist. Those are things I have some control over. When were in that panic state, there's no control, well, at least it's hard to regain it.

But if there's one thing about anxiety that is a blessing.... We're able to recognize it in others and help because we all know what it's like.

I hope you continue to be well!!!! Take care!

• Posted

Hi Ann

I could almost have written the same words myself. I am 3-4 weeks off this medication. Still feeling slightly flu like, body aches, tingling, soles of feet till burning. I also got hives! But GP didn't believe it's withdrawal symptoms! I do. Would be interested to know if you are now symptom free. I am really fed up with it all. I had been tapering down for 5 months, but physical symptoms really started strongly when going to 37.5mg and from that to zero.

• Posted

Good morning Enya. Just following your discussion your having with Ann. I am also tapering off Ven and i’m presently at 37.5 mg’s. Day 10 in fact. Yesterday I woke up dizy as heck. More than I’v ever experienced. I plan on taking out granules every week from my pills starting in about a month from now. Hopefully this will eaze the withdrawals side effects. They sure can be hard. Enjoy your day!!!!!
    • Posted

Hi John

Strangely, I started to get more physical symptoms when I got down to 37.5mg, then to zero. For me, the symptoms keep changing. Dizziness, nausea, skin rash with irritation under the skin & down through digestive track and trachea. I have been through these and more. But determined to become venlafaxine free. Keep going and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.