Venlafaxine withdrawal, what to do

Posted , 5 users are following.

I believe that I’ve withdrawled from Venlafaxine XR too quickly. I was on it for 2 months, and I weaned from the 75 mg cap to the 37.5 mg cap in 2 weeks, then from 37.5 to nothing . I’ve been off the 37.5 for almost 5 weeks, and I’m starting to feel like I’m going insane, like my brain can’t compute anything, way worse than I felt before I was on the drug, or while I was on the drug. I still have 37.5 caps in my room, should I restart my wean much slower or keep pushing through??

Any help would be awesome, thank you ❤️

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi..  i am just going off of lexapro to go onto venlafaxine..   may i ask why you are going off of it.. and did your doctor tell you to go off of venlafaxine ?
    • Posted

I’m coming off of Ven because of intrusive thoughts/suicidal ideation.. it is still there and that scares me a bit.. and yes my doctor told me to wean like that, though I think it may have been a little fast

• Posted

Hi Ckozak, I personally would keep pushing through the withdrawal. I do relate to how your feeling but you will feel much better once it's out of your system. Venlafaxine gave me intense zapping surges through my head causing dizzy spells & extreme high & lows. I am now coping with life with zero antidepressants and just propranonol for as and when my anxiety flare up. I hope you start to feel better soon. Take care xx

• Posted

Thank you!! The suicidal ideation on this drug is nasty and it’s messing with my head so badly. Hopefully the light isn’t too far away

• Posted

If it were me, I would take either the 37.5 or half of it (if you can) for another 2 - 3 weeks and then wean slowly off that. There is no point in suffering and you'll probably be symptom free and off at the same time if you just stuck it out.

• Posted

Yeah, it’s like a damned if I do, damned if I don’t situation. I only have the capsules, not the pills so I would just have to do the 37.5 every other day, then every third day, fourth day etc. I’m just so tired of this drug changing who I am and controlling my thoughts 
  • Posted

i am just going off of lexapro to go onto venlafaxine..   may i ask why you are going off of it.. and did your doctor tell you to go off of venlafaxine .. I didn;t  get your response for some reason..   

• Posted

For whatever reason, my reply wouldn’t get moderated. I got off the Venlafaxine was giving me even worse depression, bad highs and lows and impulsive suicidal thoughts. And yes, my doctor advised me to.

• Posted

why do doctors give us this meds and don;t know the bad side affects..  then they sometimes don;t give a s**t that your crawing out of your skin or can;t eat. sleep. and what ever else..   everyone is different.. i know.. but i wish they will get the write compo....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.