Venlafaxine withdrawel help :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on venlafaxine for close to a year now. I take 75mg a day. I was perscribed this medication due to anxiety, and panic attacks. I was riddled with very uncomfortable side effects from this medicine. Things like, sweating profusely, itching all over, inability to urinate standing up, lack of sex drive. And more.

2 weeks ago I decided that I was done with this stuff. I can handle my anxiety now, or at least be aware and manage it. But no more medicine. So for a week I cut the 75 mg pills in half. Then I took 1/4 of a pill for a week. I stopped taking it completely 3 days ago.

Since I've stopped taking the medicine I feel like a complete wreck. I can't think, I can't process what I see, everything is just too much, and overwhelming. I'm so sleepy, and dizzy. I also feel like puking most of the time. And I feel my pulse through out my entire body sometimes.. This all terrifies me, and I just want to feel normal again. I start school soon, and I take care of my 1 year old son full time right now. I have to feel better asap so I can take care of everything. My wife says I'm exadurating and I need to get over it. But everything I feel right now is real, confusing, and aweful. Is there anything I can do to feel better?! And how long will this strange, confusing physical feeling last?!?! Thanks for your time.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I took ven only for 6 weeks + only 37.5 + it made me iller than an ill person so came off cold turkey.Like you I was awful.Fortunately I have a great wife who ran around after me + I do not work (just closed dowmn my business).The withdrawal for me lasted 6 weeks.God knows how long it will last for someone who has been on a high dosage for a long time !!.I am on mirtazipine which has been a god send -ok i have put on 2 stone but I can function like a normal human.Good luck
    • Posted

Yes, I imagine a positive support system would make a great deal of a diference. I'm glad that you have that, be thankful for her! Also glad that you found a medicine that has helped you. I'm not sure how much two stone of weight is, but I'm sure the extra weight is well carried by a man thats happy! cheers buddy!
  • Posted

So after 4 hellish days I'm starting to feel like I'm turning a corner on this. I certainly do not feel normal, but I feel much better than I have the past few days. 

I'm going to list some of my withdrawel symptoms just for reference for the next person going through this, hopefully it helps ease them.

-brain zaps, jolts of overwhelming influx of information thats not being processed properly, causing confusion and stress.

-headaches

-sweats, hot, cold flashes

-severe dizziniess 

-nausia

-extreme thirst

-fatigue

-sleepiness, and insomnia

-vivid dreams

-surges of emotion, sometimes fear, anger, sadness

after 4 days, these things are still there. Just not nearly as bad as the first 3 days. The second day was the worst day for me so far.

• Posted

Also taking Omega-3 with DHA fish oil tabs 3 times a day with meals helped tremendously.
  • Posted

I was on Ven for 6 weeks,having previously been on 5 other anti depressants since last Oct. Some of the side effects were awful, particularly Prozac. I was determined to stick this one out for as long as I could,but right from the start the side effects were awful. Burning pains in both arms,horrendous night sweats, insomnia,constant nausea,up to the toilet 5 times a night then difficulty trying to wee,anxiety plus, just feeling totally horrendous in the morning. Went to my GP last Tues, I was on 37.5 mgs twice a day. He agree I should come off them, and told me to take one that night, then stop. I questioned this3 times as I was terrified of any worse side effects,but he said this was such a low dose I would be fine. I even went to the pharmacist for a second opinion, and he agreed with my GP. To cut a long story short I have had so little in the way of side effects, one night,night sweats, and a wee bit anxious on a couple of mornings, but I take the very odd 1 mg tablet of Diazepam. 2mgs since Tues. Feel as though I am starting to get my life back again. Hell will freeze over before I would go back on antidepressats.I wish you well icky crawl .You will get there in the end.hang on in there.

• Posted

Hi,persevere !!!!!!! What enabled me to withdraw was great support.I do hope you have it coz you'll need it ! When things got so bad ,I had very dark thoughts + it was my support that kept me going.Good luck.You've started ,so keep going.I can really relate to what betsy0603 said in her post- my original symptoms came back,but i kept telling my self it was the withdrwal + to continue. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.