Venlafaxine XL dose reduction

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been on this medication for over 15 years now at a 225mg dose per day.

It is the only antidepressant that has ever really worked for me and with it, I function well and can hold down a full-time job etc.

Most people can't believe it when I say I suffer with depression as I always appear so bright. I explain that it's not a happy pill and with all antidepressants it's a case of helping you to feel less bad than actually making you feel better.

I've tolerated the medicine really well apart from when I went cold turkey once (huge mistake; don't ever do this) or if I am late taking a dose. During those times I will feel like I have flu, will be a little manic, nauseous and have had those horrible brain flashes but they all subside when I have my dose again.

My GP asked if I had considered reducing the dose as I have been on these a long time. I am really stable so I said I would give the 150mg dose a go.

Firstly, they are a different brand and my own experience is that the brand can make a difference although it's supposed to be a generic medication. Secondly, it's only my 3rd day on the reduced dose and I feel flat energy-wise like I'm having to drag myself around and also a bit despondent. Maybe it's psychosomatic. I definitely feel different and not in a good way.

Has anyone experienced something similar and will this plateau out?

I have other general questions too such as did anyone lose weight after reducing their dose and did their libido increase.

Thank you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.