Venlaxifine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been taking the 75mg XL for 6 months, it's stopped my panic attacks but hasn't done anything for my anxiety I can't go out, can't see my friends or be in social places only feel safe at home, when I'm walking in public I feel like my legs have gone week and I'm going to pass out,get hot sweats surely I'm not the only one? I keep googling things cause I think I'm dying all the time

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Krissy, I had anxiety depression for about two and a half years On top of Venlafaxine 75mg daily I was offered "talking therapies" which felt impossible to attend but I did it and felt the meds had got me there! Maybe you could be offered this by your local team? Good wishes. PAT

• Posted

Hi Krissy,

Sorry to hear of your problems. 75mg is, in my experience, a very low dose. I started on 75mg per day and after three weeks went up to 150mg per day, and touch wood this seems to have started being effective. I would go back to your doctor and talk about increasing the dose - anything up to and over 300mg per day isn't that unusual to see from people on this forum.

good luck and take care,

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike

Just read your reply to Krissy.  Your experience is very similar to mine. I was on 75mg venlafaxine for 16 days. This was upped to 150mg slow release 13 days ago.  How long did it take you to start feeling some benefit?  Can't say I have felt anything yet.  In fact today my anxiety has been quite strong.  Did you find you felt worse before reaping any benefits? Any information will be helpful and hopefully will help me to endure the waiting time. 

• Posted

Hi June,

It did take quite some time before I started to feel any benefit, from memory I was on the 150mg for about 8 weeks before it started to do any good, and for the first few weeks it did make me feel quite a lot worse. I know that you won't find this good news, but perhaps it will help to tell you that now, some 10 weeks or so after starting the 150mg, I am very much improved. All the most unpleasant side effects have dissipated, and my anxiety is very much reduced, to the point where I am almost back to a normal existence. I've been to the doctor's this morning to talk about increase as although I am feeling so much better it's still not good on a morning and it feels rather fragile, if you know what I mean - it wouldn't take much to put me back - but my doctor advised it can take several months to be fully effective so stick with it - advice I'm happy to take.

So - it's a long and hard road, June, but stick with it, the relief when it does start being effective (and it will!) is huge, and I'm so relieved that I didn't give up on it as I was tempted to do.

Be strong and good luck!

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike

Thank you so much for your very informative reply. It is music to my ears to hear that you are feeling so much better. Thank you also for your very encouraging message - this is what we need when faced with this crippling disorder.

I totally understand your comment about the mornings when you can sense fragility.  Mornings when I get up are my very worst  times.  I'm shaking and fearful of the day ahead.  I cannot bear to be in the house during the day alone and so have to go out visiting family or friends.  

As you say, it's a long hard road, and I can't wait to feel the relief like you did.

Best wishes for your further improvement. 

• Posted

Krissy95 I feel your pain. I too was in your shoes and was housebound for a month at least. I was signed off work for 4 month convinced the was losing my mind and dying. I switched on to venlafaxine around 3-4 months ago from citalopram and recently just been upped to 225mg xl.So far I don't think this drug has done anything for me.Hoping in time I will see some improvements.Everyday is an uphill struggle and I just count down the hours til I get home to see my family. I'm the same with google,I find it relaxes me. Believe me when I say ur not dying. I know how u feel tho and my heart goes out to u,nobody who hasn't had this illness will ever understand how debilitating it can be. Stay strong

• Posted

Wow. Came across this discussion and I feel for y’all. I have been in V since May. First 12 weeks on 37.5 mg’s and 75 since Aug. some days I feel absolutely great but never more that 4 days straight. I have an app’t with my Dr at the end if the month and she may want to up my meds and I’m willing to do so in order to feel beeter all the time. Thank god I exercise or I wud go crazy. Main side effects now are mostly headaches.   I also take fish oil and vit D-3. Sometimes I dont know where to turn to feel better. Rven tried accupuncture. Seems to help but can be expensive after awhile. Hope everyone is having a great day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.