Venous ulcer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!

I have have been cursed with a leg ulcer on my right ankle for almost 2 years. I understand what people are going through. Sometimes the pain is unbearable. Since then have been advised by a Vascular Surgeon to use flaminal forte gel and use a compression stocking. If there is no improvement he advised to have the incompetent vein removed from the thigh. Has anyone had this done? If so does the ulcer heal? I appreciate any feedback on this operation. Thanks and good luck.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have had venous leg ulcers for 8 years now on my left leg and for nearly 5 months on my right leg. I have tried 4 layer, 2 layer and full leg compression bandages, knee and thigh length made to measure compression stockings and the juxta cure wrap over the years on my left leg and 2 layer (K-Two) on the right leg  and although my ulcers improve slightly there has been nothing major.  

Two months ago I had lazer surgery on my left leg. I was in and out on the same day within a few hours and since then one ulcer has healed completely for the first time ever and the other ulcer (on same leg) is now smaller than its ever been (approx 1.5cm x 2cm) and healing really well.  

I would recommend the lazer surgery to anyone who can have it.  I was awake the whole time and could see the screen as they scanned my leg etc (was fasinating if you like that sort of thing) and I didnt feel a thing or was in any pain afterwards.

I go back to hospital in 2 weeks time to have my right leg scanned to see if its same thing wrong with the veins if so I will be booked in for lazer surgery on that leg too (can't wait lol).  

The only thing I would recommend is make sure you are comfortable with your consultant/Surgeon if you are worried about anything or have any questions etc talk to them beforehand.  I was scared (not sure why) of hospitals but my consultant put my mind at ease before and during the surgery and made sure I was 100% on board and happy the whole time.  This time round I cant wait for the scan and hopefully the lazer surgery too. 

Hope everything goes well for you and they heal quickly.  

• Posted

Thank your for your most valuable comments about lazer surgery on your left leg for the ulcer. It must be a wonderful feeling to have it healed after 8 YEARS!

Please tell how much does the lazer surgery cost?

Anyway, Congratulations and good luck wth the right leg

• Posted

Thank your for your most valuable comments about lazer surgery on your left leg for the ulcer. It must be a wonderful feeling to have it healed after 8 YEARS!

Please tell how much does the lazer surgery cost?

Anyway, Congratulations and good luck wth the right leg. 

• Posted

hi sandra

do you have a diacoloration of skin?i have a veins problem and my skin near my ankle is discoloring...what do think the treatment of skin discoloration..doctor said this is close to leg ulcer..

• Posted

Hi Maria

Yes I do it's reddish purple. I hope that yours doesn't develop into a leg ulcer. Good luck. 

• Posted

what did you put to remove the discoloration?thanks for reply,i appreciate it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.