Venous ulcers

Posted , 1 user is following.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this, I was not sure where to post it.

I suffered a blood clot in my leg after surgery two years ago. This was treated with 15mg Xarelto BID, followed by 10mg Xarelto for 3 months. This resolved the issue.

I suffered a second blood clot in the other leg a few months later, which was treated with 20mg of Xarelto once a day, following the initial 15mg BID. This did not fully resolve the clot. This issue was not followed properly and the valves in that leg are now damaged. I asked to have the Xarelto reduced to 15mg daily, as it was causing issues with my hemorrhoids.

I had a bowel bleeding issue (not hemorrhoids) about two months ago, so I stopped the Xarelto temporarily, and the bleeding stopped. An unrelated MRI did not identify any bowel issues. However, I started to get sores on the veins on my legs that would not heal after I stopped taking the Xarelto.

I saw a Haematologist about the sores, and he suggested that they were too high on the lower leg to be venous ulcers but were more likely to be auto-immune related. This made no sense to me. I recently had another suspected blood clot, so I restarted my 15mg of Xarelto BID. The venous ulcers are healing now, so I'm even more perplexed by the above diagnosis. I have a follow-up booked.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.