Venting about my kidney stone experience

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone, I've had one crappy ordeal with kidney stones and need to talk about it as it's really getting me down.

Over three years ago I started having a stabbing pain in my left side just under my ribs. I ignored it for a while as it was more uncomfortable than anything, but soon became unbearable and so went to my GP. He ordered an ultrasound, and afterwards told me there was nothing wrong and that I should exercise more, (I've no idea why he suggested this). After going back to him a few times and telling him everything he was suggesting wasn't working, I saw another doctor, who ordered another ultrasound, which again showed nothing. This time I was told to have physio as it could be a muscular problem. (I'd had plenty of blood tests which showed no reason to be concerned about anything else).

Again, I was sure they were wrong but thought they are professionals so I will do as they say.

However, my Nan became severely ill, was diagnosed with breast cancer, and passed away all within a month and a half. Because of this, I was scared to push my doctor's to investigate the problem. They said it wasn't anything serious, and so I thought I could live with it, as I had for three years anyway. Unfortunately, my body had other ideas, and after suffering some excruciating pain I went to A&E and was told I had a small stone that would pass within a few days. Great, I thought. It's finally all over.

Oh, how wrong I was.

The pain never went away, and two months later, (this week), I saw a urologist who told me that the scan I had when passing the previous stone revealed another five in my left and two in my right.

I now have to have another CT scan to get an update on the size and placement before I have an operation.

Sorry if this is a long-winded post, but these stones have controlled my life for over three years. The countless social events I have had to cancel because of the pain is ridiculous. Throughout my entire time at university, I couldn't do anything other than attend classes, work, and hand in assignments. Anything else wasn't worth the pain.

I just feel exhausted and drained all the time. I'm so fed up and annoyed at myself for not pushing my doctor's to do further tests years ago. I was sure it was stones all this time, and to know that after my first scan it showed more stones that I wasn't told about just frustrates me even more.

Again, my apologies for what is essentially me moaning, but I just needed to get it all out. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you're going through this. Talk to your Dr about what kind if things you can avoid so you don't keep getting stones. I've attributed drinking pop to my stones and not drinking enough water. You shouldn't have to stop having a life because of the stones. I've passed about 6 in my lifetime. I know your pain. Good luck on surgery.

• Posted

Thank you! I think sugary drinks and not enough water may have been the culprit in my case also.

Six stones, you deserve a medal! Thank you for the well wishes. I hope you are, and if so remain, stone free for as long as possible!

• Posted

On the bright side, you now have a urologist who will never dismiss your pain. You are on the road to actual treatment, as much as that's possible for stones anyway. Different types of stones are caused by different things, so once you know what type, it may be easier to avoid things that could be helping you make the stones. 

• Posted

Thank you. Here's hoping it's something easily manageable! Knowing that the type of stone may help me figure out why I've got them and what to do/avoid is a load off of my mind. I should have listened all those years ago when I was told not to drink so much coca cola!

• Posted

Sorry to hear of the painful journey you've been on .

On the plus side, it sounds like it us now in hand and can be controlled by your urologist

Having had 5 stones myself I know the feeling ( i still have 3) speak to your urologist . When you go see them have a clear idea of what it is you want and don't back down...

All the best and speedy recovery .

• Posted

I think my problem has been I back down far too easily, but I won't any more, not after all this. Thanks for the kind words and advice, this forum has a lot of nice people on it. What's happening with your remaining three if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

I was given an appointment fir next may but my gp ( after 7 months decided ot wasnt good enough and contacted my urologist. I saw him on Tuesday and now waiting to have an up-to-date mri/ct scan .

Think he will be making a decision based on the results. I will however be insisting on them being attended to.

I previously had a double blockage and really don't want stents in again so I'm Hoping he will laser them asap.

All the best 😊

• Posted

I have a question for you.  Did you get chills with your stone when it's still in the kidney.  I have a large stone in my right kidney and I'm chilled a lot of the time.  Not sure it's from that or from my thyroid being off.  

• Posted

I haven't felt chills with it being in my kidney, I did feel that way when the stone was passing however. It was only for a short period, and it was about 3 in the morning so my body was in a bit of a shock.

Sorry I can't be of more help! I hope you're not in too much pain

• Posted

Kidney stones is horrible and everyone here shares your pain but it doesnt have to take over your life if you learn to manage it, with medications and eating and drinking the right things will help although I personally dont exersize much with it apart from walking as I find it causes to much bleeding in the bladder due to my stone being stuck ,everyones case is slightly different and the best way to manage it is to listen to what your body is telling you! If it hurts dont do it! Most importantly is drink lots of water.
    • Posted

Thank you, I started almost hating my body through all of this and not taking care of it properly, but I will listen to all the advice and try to figure out what works and what doesn't.

That sounds incredibly painful, is something being done about your stone being stuck?

• Posted

Yes bud I had a failed Uretecopy 6 weeks ago and they fitted me with a stent, im waiting to go back and try again but its a long waiting list so it wont be till November at the earliest.
  • Posted

Similar scenario with me I'm afraid.

Started having a lot of urinary tract infections about a year ago. Kept going back to the same GP who just kept giving me antibiotics. He did eventually give me something to try and prevent infections returning but it did not work. In December last year I saw a different GP and within 5 minutes she picked up on the fact that this could be a kidney stone.

She referred me to a urologist who I saw at the end of January and he confirmed from a scan I had had that I had a kidney stone, a large one at that!

He referred me to someone else who I saw in April and he said he would remove the stone surgically.

He then changed his mind and referred me to someone in Cheltenham(wihtout communicating this to me first!!)

I saw the urologist in Cheltenham in June and yes you have guessed right, he referred me to someone else in Bristol!!!!

I live in Wales and had to get funding from my local health board (Powys) to be treated in England.

I now have an appointment at Bristol on 20th October. This is just to see the consultant. So you think you have something to moan about? HA HA!

To be fair to them all I am a complicated case because I have horseshoe kidneys (they are joined together).

Apparently about 1 in 500 people are born with horseshoe kidneys. Trust me to be number 500!!! 

Yes I am really fed up with it as well. A friend was telling me the other day that lemon barley water is very good for kidney stones so I bought some this morning.

Hope you get this sorted sooner rather than later.

Take care and keep in touch.

Fellow Sufferer

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.