Ventral Hernia - Surgery on 11/15/16

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I am having my third surgery on November 15th and this time the surgeon said it will operate little differently since my hernias are coming back. They will cut through the muscles and place the mesh the closesest they can get to the stomach. Currently I have mesh on the outside of the muscle. They tried with the reworking the surface only before and my hernia is keep coming back  neutral  This time they will place the mesh close to the stomach and keep my old mesh too for better support.

Did anyone had similar thing happened to them and how was recovery after the surgaery. My previous two surgeries I was back to work after two weeks, but this time my doctor said 6 weeks. I am scraed that this is more complicated surgery and I am not ahppy about the idea of having two meshes in me.... cry

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I hope you can try to relax and have faith in your surgeon. At this point it seems you have fewer options. But have you looked for alternatives? All best to you.
  • Posted

Good luck to you. This is why my doctor and so many others have said once you have the surgery it makes it weaker so try and hold off surgery as long as possible. Everyone I have talked to has had repeat surgeries because of this.
    • Posted

Hi Stacy! I wish I had the choice with my first surgery, but it was necessary. I was in lot of pain and my hernia was inflamed. They had to operate.
    • Posted

I can understand that. With technology the way it is now you would think they would have a better surgery to repair hiatal hernias. They just don't care.

• Posted

Hi.. I hope everything goes goes well with your surgery! I had a ventral hernia repaired on October 25th and an scheduled to return to work in 4 days. I'm a kindergarten teacher and trying to decide if I need one more week. I'm still in pain from surgery. I read that you said in your previous surgeries you were able to return to work in two weeks.. was that pain free or did you just work through it? Again Best of luck and thanks for any advice you can give to me!! Here's to a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank you Jennifer. How they repaired your hernia? Did they use mesh and did you have an open surgery?

I definitely regret not taking more than two weeks for recovery. My job is not physical, but seating for 8 hours bothered me too. I was moving slowly and getting tired quickly. By the time I would come home I was so ready for bed. If you do go back, make sure you wear loose clothing and make yourself comfortable and hydrated. I remember getting lightheaded and cramps in my abdominal area. With the second surgery they placed the mesh and that took months to feel normal without feeling burning sensation where they stitched mesh too close to the nerves. It took  alot of time before I felt comfortable when turning certain way, sleeping on my sides, etc.

Best of luck to you too and if you can, take all the time that is available

to you before you return to work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.