Verapamil 180 mg not available

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on Verapamil 180 mg Modified Release for 12 years and the manufacturers have stopped making it. Has anybody else had the same problem please

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ask for Securon SR 120mg and take one and a half,

How has it affected you in that time? I took it for twelve years and my heart rate went down into the low 40's and I developed ectopic beats and I put the blame on it.

• Posted

Thank you  Recently I have been taking 1 x 120mg and splitting into 2 taking total 180 mg. but my GP doesnt advise splitting them.

Were the tablets you took Modified Release as mine were, I had nt side effects or problems with 180 mg Modified Release

• Posted

Yes. modified release. I had been prescribed Securon by name then they had to put the generic name on the prescription. Boots were then the only one I could get them from as the others never seemed to work. Then Boots also started to give out the generic ones.

You can split them as they normally are scored for that very reason.  

• Posted

Thanks very much Derek, it Boots where I get my prescriptions from, did you used to take 180 mg and do you have anyside effects from the split at all I have been told that there is trouble in the manufacturing since March but they hope to have them back in production by the end of the year.

• Posted

No, I took 240mg. There is no problem with splitting them. Boots will confirm that for you. 

There is another version called Univer 120 mg Prolonged-release Hard Capsules also made by Teva in 180 and 240mg.

There are problems with a lot of drugs at the moment. Some caused by company take overs and manufacture going to other countries. Boots usually seem to know of such problems rather than the smaller chains.

An analgesic Gel I used I was told last year that it would not be available again until the third quarter of this year

• Posted

Thats very good of you, thanks for all the information. I will talk to my Boots pharmacist in the morning and see what they can find out. Its a great shame when manufacturers have problems as for the patient who has relied on a drug it can be very worrying to suddenly change. Thanks again you have been most helpful, Jean
    • Posted

How do you get on with Boots? I gave up on them. It was a large branch and you always had a long queue to hand in your prescription. They then went to check if they had the items and usually brought them back and put them in a tray for the prescription to be checked. They then said it would be half an hour so you go away and come back to join the long queue again and usually find that it had yet to be checked so you stood around. Then usually one item they either did not have or have enough of and you had to go back again. 

I gave up and went to a smaller pharmacy where you handed it in and they did it right away. Now I order my regular items on line from the surgery and the prescription is sent electronically to the pharmacy and I collect it the next day. I could do that with Boots but still have to join the long queue. 

• Posted

The Pharmacy part of my Surgery is Boots, so all my prescriptions I order on the internet are sent to them and they even send me an email when the presciption is ready, so I am more than grateful to them for the service I get, I am very fortunate as the staff are really helpful, but they know me well as I am always getting infections etc.,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.