Verapamil

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had to stop bisoprolol because the dose needed to stop the episodes was putting bp and pulse too low. Changed to 80mg of verapamil 3 times a day. Only been on it less than a week. My ectopics are same and still getting a bit of sinus tachy daily but not had another 6 hr attack of alternating sinus tachy with svt. Keeping fingers crossed!!

So is anyone else taking this. Had any side effects either short term or long term. Like to know experiences please.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deborah,  I had to  go back on to Bisoprolol last week after my attack of svt, I feel terrible, barely managing to function.  I will see the electrophysiologist in 3 weeks time, I don,t think I can take this Bisoprolol much longer, I keep changing my mind about having an ablation, I hope the electrophysiologist can give me advice.   I was reading up about verapamil, still has side effects though!
  • Posted

Yes. About six months ago, following a severe SVT attack, I was put on 120 mg Verpamil 2x/day. Initially I became EXTREMELY exhausted, suffering migraines and dizziness for nearly two weeks. In addition, it surely felt as though Verapamil wasn't making much of a difference for my SVTs, as I still had some "runs" of minor SVT. But now it's been six months, most of the side effects have vanished/I've adjusted to them, and I haven't had an SVT attack as severe as the ones I had before taking Verapamil. Overall it's an effective drug but beware of the side effects. If you can't adjust to them, you might want to consider a different medication. However I am also taking Atenolol 25 mg 2x/day as a way to control and lower my heart rate, just for my general sense of wellbeing. According to my doctor, Verapamil doesn't lower heart rate significantly. This can be a nuisance to some of us who have a naturally fast resting heart rate. Mine is usually in the high 90's at rest, without Atenolol, whilst on Verapamil only. I know this because I've tried multiple times to get off Atenolol, but every time I try, I can't deal with the high heart rate. Though I am safe in the knowledge that Verapamil would guard off any severe SVTs. Hope it goes well for you

• Posted

@agy26775@

Hello agy

can i ask you about the combination of taking both a beta blocker and a calcium channel blocker?

I've had this in mind and logically what you said makes sense, but no cardiologist I've met has advised to take both classes, they usually prescribe one of them only to go for

• Posted

Thanks both. I am now on 80 verapamil 3 times a day. On 40 i was still getting short episodes of fast heartbeat.

The main side effect as yet is bowel related. I normally go 4 times a day but now 2 . I can always take laxative if nec.

I am going to ask my gp if i can try 60 3 times a day as i would like the lowest dose that will stop the daiky racing heart.

I am still getting alot of ectopics and runs of ectopics. My bp is nowhere as low as it was on bisoprol but it has lowered it a bit.

• Posted

So Verapamil will make your heart rate faster? I have SVT and was taking 50 mg Atenolol. I kept getting episodes and running to the ER to control it. So Dr there put me on Verapamil 120 mg and to stop Atenolol. My resting heart rate on just Atenolol was 62. Now taking just Verapamil it jumped to 70. Now during the night I get at times my heart rate up to 100 -102 laying in bed. Is that norm with this drug? Only been on it for a week so far. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.