Verapamil problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been taking verapamil for 3 weeks for atrial fibrillation. Have started to get a slow heart rate of about 40-50 bpm. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did your consultant advise. Mine has told me to do what I want with my medication hmm??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

GRRRRRR - had something similar happen to husband, reported pain and weakness in left arm, told it was, arthritis of shoulder, torn muscle, and even when his heatbeat was at 30BPM told it had to be pinched nerve in his neck, for fifteen months previous we had been complaining about this issue.  Finally admitted to local heart hospital to be told it was his tablets causing 30BPM, tablets withdrawn.

?When I went to the hospital early the following morning, nurses reported to me his heartbeat had fallen to 23 BPM, during the night, 12 hours after what would have been his usual dose of tablets.

Well I was waiting for the consultant with a head of steam up, when he arrived in the morning, and went for his head, and told him in no uncertain terms that his junior Dr's were idiots and needed to go back to medical school because it seemed I know more about heart failure than they do.

?At that point consultant agreed with me, and ordered the junior to his office in front of us, unexpected as we all know that any mistakes even in public hospital are dealt with behind closed doors.

?My advice to you, is the consultant part of a group practice, find out who the senior is and put in a formal written complaint to the senior, keep a copy for your own records, and or email. keep a record of complaint.

If public hospital, write to the manager of the hospital, generally make life very uncomfortable for said consultant, and hopefully it makes him pick up his game.

?Also contact you GP, again in writing, keep copy of this as well, tell him what the consultant said to you.

?Not good enough to be treated like that, you deserve to have everything explained to you carefully so you understand what the Dr/Consultant is talking about, big medical terms do not cut the mustard i'm afraid.

?Other than that hit the local library and start reading their heart issues section, that's how I have educated myself about his heart issues, has saved his life with me being able to advocate for him when he has been unable to do for himself.

• Posted

Hi. I’m on verapamil 3 x 80 daily with no problems and I’m also on bp medication. My heart rate is usually about 78-80. When I wa on beta blockers my heart rate was down to 40. Once I stopped them the heart rate went back. Are you on any other medication that may be conflicting with the verapamil? I would definitely seek a second opinion regarding the dosage. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.