Verapamil/Zantac/magnesium oxide Timing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so im in a bit of a bind with ibs-c (see what i did there)

I have been downing metamucil, 1tbsp twice a day and was taking lactulose 15ml at night and was regular for almost a week!  But side effects kicked in wtih the lactulose and i was waking up a little nauseous after a few doses, but it was relieved after multiple bowel movements.  Felt like there was a brick by my bladder.

So i wanted to start taking magnesium Oxide again but im not sure how to time my medications.  I take zantac after dinner(8:30pm) and Verapamil (11:00)  So from my understanding Mag Ox messes with the way zantac works.  What is the best way to do this?  I was told to take it before bed, but if something messes with the zantac i wake up wtih a sick feeling. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi You might be taking too much of chalky and lactose meds. I got my bowel movements working a teat by talking fibre but not to harsh type of fiber as my tummy can cope with that. For me it is porridge, carrots, peppers etc. My system can't cope with brown rice or too many greens. Now soon as I am up my bowels are regular and they don't stink the way they used to. Maggie x
    • Posted

Hello Maggie What other foods would you list as"not too harsh type of fibre." I have switched to porridge. It made me constipated to start with but my body seems to have adapted a little, When you say peppers do you mean sweet bell peppers or fiery peppers? Surely women don't stink. When I was a teenager I was told women released rose petals. That is mummy for you smile
    • Posted

Normal red and yellow peppers, carrots, sweet corn, strangely wild rice (Tesco) Turnip. I am also coeliac so I am on gluten free pasta etc. Good bit of fruit which is also fibre, apples, strawberry etc and I have pudding every day with some kind of fruit and my home made gluten free sponge. A reasonable amount of meat. Sounds like you need to take it easy and build up your system. Maggie x
    • Posted

As you may know if you have read my other posts I have currently been reducing my stress levels by not working and now I have been offered 3 months work but to be honest a little scared to leave my main location due to an unpredictable stomach.

I eat peppers, carrots, apples and plums. Sadly I do not like rice, sweet corn or turnip. My pudding is s yoghurt as puddings are too sugary for me. 

Yes et that is true and this job breaks all my conditions too. I did not want to travel any more than 20 mins and with traffic this as an hour. I only wanted a standalone job free of stress but this is managerial and that always comes with stress as too do international companies due to late night meetings but my car is costing me so much I am having to bite the bullet but it is scaring the life out of me.

Most of the time I am fine but there are 2 or 3 times in the month when I can not control my body hence why minimal travel was a requirement as less time to worry about being ill.

I am sure this sounds mental as I used to go to and from daily without a care in the world and never even think about the loo. These days I think of little eLes. This is my purgatory as Virgil would say. 

• Posted

I totally understand when you are not in control of your body. I had eight years of having reflux that smelled like faeces. Turned out to be a hiatus hernia and coeliac disease. I now have control over it and you will too. I am a medical secretary and have had to do all my own research in the end. Apply your common sense and do your research. You will get there. Maggie x
    • Posted

Yes it is horrible but that reflux sounds seriously awful too. I am glad you have resolved your problem. I am better but not cured. I did have a good start to the year but come the start and end of Feb I went backwards as has been well documented in here. i have done my own research too although I did see a nutritionist last year. I only found this by accident a month or so ago. I can only do my own research as I am well known in my family for having mucho qualifications but no common sense smile.  The fact that I get tense going anywhere goes against common sense. I think IBS Instils a fear that on the face of it is irrational but to those who suffer it is not so irrational. Thank you.
    • Posted

The reason I ask you to do some research online is that I nearly had the answers myself but trusted in my GP who quite frankly could not be bothered. It all started with undiagnosed glandular fever and they just kept on telling me it was depression. If they had followed procedure a simple blood test would have shown it up. The reflux came straight after. So that is why I think people should do a bit of research online . Good luck 🍀
    • Posted

I was lucky as my doc said we do not know as much as you. I have done a lot of research but my body is strange as what will make me Ill one week will not make me ill another week.

I think mine followed a better procedure once I finally went in. 

Thank you. I need it as confirmed I will be in work again Monday. First time for 6 months so we'll see how it goes.

• Posted

Tell yourself that it doesn't matter what happens with the job. Just try your best but take it easy. At the end of the day your health is more important than any job. Good luck 😊 Maggie x
    • Posted

It does not matter what I tell myself my stomach has a life of its own hence fear of going out. I will do. I concur and one of the reasons I stopped working previously as started to spend too much time in hospitals again. Thank you Best M
  • Posted

I would speak to a doc about your intake as there is a lot going on there.
  • Posted

Hi Kyomagi, the metamucil fibre drink cause IBS. I experienced that for a while and so is my daughter in attempt to loose weight. You better stop all medication and stop metamucil for three days and see how it works.Hope you get well soon . Take care
  • Posted

just curious, last night i took my mag ox as the last pill before bed and got really bloated when i drank 10oz of water with it.  I actually threw up the snack i had 2h before hand.  is that typical with ibs/gerd?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.