Vertebrobasilar insufficiency ??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have written on this site before reporting that I have imbalance/staggering which has developed over three or four years - and is now so severe that I am housebound and fear that I will fall over very soon. I was recently diagnosed with Vertebrobasilar Insufficiency. It seems that this is a well known problem where the carotid arteries to the brain are becoming blocked by plaque or cholesterol. Has anybody else suffered from this ?? My main question is - is this a matter for a neurologist, or a matter for a cardiologist. My NHS GP has sent me to consultations with both, and they each insist it is the others speciality and refuse to help. Can anybody advise ??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would say you need to see Vascular, so neither of the depts your GP has referred you to.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Mr.John

Let me know how you got diagnosed this ? I too have this deficiency for last 2 years.

Please let me know. Now I am taking treatment for Labyrinthitis since I have ringing and hearing loss (fluctuating).

• Posted

Hi Chandra, My doctor sent me for a Carotid Duplex Scan, a very simple test rather similar to the test that pregnant women have. There is no pain nor discomfort. I was then sent for an MRI and MRA test. The main problem now is finding a consultant or surgeon who will take the problem further.

• Posted

Or to rephrase...... The main problem is it's very hard to find anybody within the NHS to actually give a t*ss! Lol

Honestly you really can't win. My consultant asked my GP to refer me for another MRI, then my GP tells me GP's aren't really supposed to refer for MRI's!!!

• Posted

Matt, I am beginning to agree with you. Even going private things are not any easier

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.