Vertigo

Posted , 5 users are following.

I get Vertigo pretty bad. Sometimes I'm laid up in bed for a few days. I've had it for many years, but it's been over a year straight that I've had it this time. Does anyone have anything they found to relieve it? I've been given Serc, but that does nothing.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,after my last episode of vertigo,a doctors gave me the crawthorne cooksey exercises,they did help take quite a bit of the vertigo feeling away,but I have un compensated labythrinits so I never get to feel 100% well?You can get the exercises from the internet,be careful if you do,don t do to many all at once,I only did 4of each at first and I did the first ones sitting down,they do bring a little bit of vertigo on as you do them ( I know it's the last thing you want to do )  maybe have a word with your doctor about doing them x
    • Posted

Thanks for the info. But as soon as i read that these exercises can bring on Vertigo, i decided not to try it. My Vertigo is pretty dibilitating. Nothing i want to purposely do lol. 

I did go to a neurologist and he did a few things with me. He moved my head in a few ways, then i had to keep my head completely straight for 48 hrs straight. I had to wear a neck collar and even sleep sitting straight on a chair. I have a very painful tailbone, and doing that put me through so much pain in my tailbone. That area was numb for weeks for sitting on it for so long. It did work. But not for any length of time.

• Posted

Aw im sorry you re in a lot of pain,I hope it eases soon.i know excactley how you feel about the the exercises bringing the vertigo on,the first couple of times I only did a couple of each I would hand on to arm of the sofa,but slowly they did ease the awful vertigo feeling.Believe me my vertigo was so bad I couldn t walk for about 4 days I couldn teven sit up,it lasted for months ,so when the doctor gave me them to do I was desperate.You must do what you feel best and talk to your doctor I hope you get some relief soon x
    • Posted

Hello,

May I ask how long you've had labrynthitis?  I've heard it can take many years for some people to compensate.  What are your symptoms besided the dizziness?  Can you still drive and shop?  I get derealizatio pretty bad.  I was told that my balance system is not working fully.  I was diagnosed with visual vestibular hypersensitivity, then migraine associated vertigo, now with a new doctor, I've just been diagnosed with chronic subjective dizziness.  I'm on klonopin and Imipramine.

Take care,

Nicole

BTW, I've been having problems since March 2012, 10 weeks post partum.  I had a sinus infection and then bam, never the same since.

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

i ve had it for 6 yrs,it started after I had a virus I was very dizzy,the doctor said it was stress and in sisted I wasn't stressed but he wouldn t listen,a week later,I was still very dizzy and I was being sick all the time,I couldn t even keep water down,I was in such a state,the doctors just looked puzzled,I was begging them to help me I really thought I had a deadly illness.i lost two  stone over a few weeks,I was truly terrified.

i  ve had  every kind of test they could think of and still didn t know.After a couple of years the sickness died down with the help of cyclizine.i was then left with just that off balance feeling,the ground moves under my feet,visual movements can make feel weird,I have never known how to describe the feeling,but a lady from this site likened it to the feeling you have when you come off a roundabout,it is the perfect way to describe the feeling.

its destroyed my life,my confidence is rock bottom,i don t travel in the car at the momment,if I do travel I m a mess my eyes goes funny and when I get out I feel so sick and I can t walk straight.i can t go shopping at the momment the whole noise and lighting just set me off.The anxiety part is taking over and I hate it.i was feeling a little better last year, and I was starting to get out and about,but earlier this year I had a nasty bout of vertigo that sent me back to square one again.

i m sorry you are suffering,does your medication help you? are you able to lead a normal life? 

Sorry its a long post it's so hard to write it all down in a few words.

i hope today is a good day for you.

Take Care x

• Posted

Preforming the head maneuverers while your dealing with a bout a vertigo can make you feel pretty bad at first, but if you had some success (even if only for a little while) it may be worth trying again, over a period of time. Usually for someone with long causes of vertigo doctors will recommend repeated maneuverers such as the Epley several times over 2 weeks. I find taking something for nausea (if you get that), helpful before doing them to take the edge off and allow me to focus. Another option you may want to look into is a simbalance pillow. It helps a friend of mine who use to have vertigo daily as well, but she no longer does. 
  • Posted

Try waering a soft neck collar. This prevents you from moving your head in the wrong direction.

Using the neck collar you can drive and go out of your home safely (to an extent).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.